What's new

Gibson in a spot of trouble, a great brand of guitar

Its quite a shame that this is hapenning as they bought Cakewalk too right? And now that's being pulled apart and going down the swanny with them I believe? Sad to see it happen when Gibson was one of the best names in the industry at one point with some absolutely incredible luthiers working for them. Nowadays the name Gibson does not mean that much at all in the industry. Sad state of affairs for them to fall so far

Nowadays the name Gibson does not mean that much at all in the industry. Sad state of affairs for them to fall so far

I think it is ashame as they did try to grab a chunk of the times with cakewalk, it kind of makes you wonder how does fender do it and washburn, as these two brands have been around for a very long time too.

I once tried a very expensive Gibson guitar - and I wasn't impressed. I'd never pay thousands of euros for a Gibson LP or a Fender strat...Especially since I tried a considerably cheaper Schecter strat and it made the Fender one feel terrible in comparison. But it's a matter of personal preference... :)

Only had an epiphone once - Silver SG. It has been stolen and retrieved (some kids broke in and stole it), renderd it's neck too unstable to hold a tuning. I gifted it with my former band signatures to our local bar, where we played a few times, together with a cymbal, a photo of us etc. "Wall of honor" kind of thing.

I only have Dean and Jackson guitars. But what Gibson did, started with the Robot guitar (self-tuning) and the latest demise of Cakewalk is just sad, for a guitar manufacturer of that size and reputation.

Good riddance. I've been impressed with Heritage guitars, and even Hagstrom. There's a limit to how cynically you can keep milking the image made in ages past while the workmanship and quality control slide downhill at an absurd rate. And not to mention the endangered species shenanigans, just disgusting.

I once tried a very expensive Gibson guitar - and I wasn't impressed. I'd never pay thousands of euros for a Gibson LP or a Fender strat...Especially since I tried a considerably cheaper Schecter strat and it made the Fender one feel terrible in comparison. But it's a matter of personal preference... :)

I also wonder if these guitar prossecing effects have alot to do with the lack of sales for Gibson becuase you can get .multi guitar effects that can emulate the sound of Gibson and fender.

So is this all we need these days

I have a 1955 Les Paul gold top that I’ve had for 46 years which I love. And a 1970 Dove which is a beautiful guitar.

I think replicas have had there part to play in taking sales from the originals, wonder if the feel is all that different.

I wonder what this would mean for all the brands Gibson owns.

They started out building mandolins back when full mandolin orchestras were all the rage (sample project anyone?).

https://www.vintagemandolin.com/mandohistory.html

I have a fairly new Epiphone electric and a 1924 Gibson RB-JR 5-string banjo. The Gibson brand has had its ups and downs but if it does go bankrupt, I hope someone will swoop in and rescue the name and the Custom Shop.

Top Bottom