What's new

VSL/Steinberg eLicenser Key Policy

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
i've been wondering about VSL's policy on lost, stolen, or damaged keys.

i just got an email from support and they use the jewelry analogy.

basically, insure your key/software.

here's an interesting thread from 2017.

https://vi-control.net/community/forums/sample-talk.32/create-thread

-

any VSL customers have an approach to this?

i'd like to know before i invest more.

they also recommend buying a new key every 2 years - the length of the warranty.

from what i understand, this only covers manufacturer defect and not owner damage or theft.

Last edited:
The jewelry analogy is stupid on many levels.

Also, these things should have a lifetime warranty. 2 years is stupid, and the suggestion that you should buy a new dongle every two years is contemptible.

It is a horrible policy. One of the many reasons I have not bought many of their products for years. I have bought very few ilok/e-licenser products in recent years simply because of their horrible policies that seem intent on making money out of a paying customers misfortune.

Here's what I've always wondered... if my eLicenser with VSL licenses dies, who do I send it off to for repairs/replacement... VSL or Steinberg? Moreover, is it better to keep one company per eLicenser to simplify things in the event multiple licenses from multiple companies need to be recovered? E.g., one key for only VSL products, a separate key for only Steinberg products, etc.

Wow, I did not know this about VSL. As a hobbyist, they are a little pricey for me. Though really, if I used all the money I've spent on VSTi's over the years, I probably could have bought a good deal of their products. But that is off subject.

I will not be buying any more of their products with this policy. I have one of the percussion ones. Since I bought it during a 50% off sale, I would be paying full price to replace it. And frankly, I have percussion from others that is as good.

I broke down and bought iLok insurance through Pace last year when I realized the value of what I would be losing if something happened to my iLok. I've had an iLok for about 10 years without a problem. I update them every so often, but not every two years. But I have never seen insurance for software licenses other than that. I probably would buy it if I did. considering how much I've spent over the years, it would be worth it.

makes me think go mainly dongle free workflow even its pricey very pricey expect i really focus some things.
and saddly only good daw in pc side (which i need speed etc reasons) for my taste is Cubase.

The only VSL software I own is VE Pro, which, since you get three licences and it isn't that expensive, I can live with. As I travel a lot, I just cannot put money into any VSL libraries until they sort this out, which is a shame. I just couldn't take the risk.

This issue seems to come up regularly on the forum, and we have the same old arguments about it again and again.

However, what I really don't like to see is how many people have spent money with VSL and not been aware of this policy and are shocked when they finally find out.

If they are going to have this policy, they need to be a bit more transparent about it IMHO.

As per Paul Steinbauer VSL is working on changing that policy. He wrote that on the VSL forum in winter. I asked back last month, and his reply was 'still working on it'. Let's hope they come up with a better solution soon.

I only own VEP but a few months back thought I had lost the eLicenser. Normally I leave them in the machines but was tinkering with VEP on my laptop), contacted VSL and did not know I would have to rebuy a new license.

Total stroke of luck, my wife phoned me and said: "did you drop a small blue memory stick? I found it under my car". Really lucky it didnt get run over. Lesson learned and its put me right off these things.

Add me to the list, and I have contacted VSL to let them know my thoughts.

I have the Special Edition Volume 1 and the libraries that came with VEPro. I like them a lot. I was in the midst of wrapping my head around Vienna Instrument Pro when I discovered their key policy. I still play around with the libraries some times, I do like them, but I too am unwilling to invest more in their libraries until this is sorted out.

I'm not going to sell them, I just don't want to depend on them right now.

For VEPro, the cost is low enough that I am willing to gamble because it does improve my work flow.

I am optimistic a solution can be found that makes everyone happy.

Add me to the list. I bought the VSL SE Woodwinds, and the SE Volume 4(seldom-used instruments are my kryptonite) when on sale and I love them. However, I only really realized what their policy regarding lost, stolen or damaged elicenser was after I had made my purchase. I travel a lot and this makes me too nervous to travel with my key - which means I use the instruments much less than I'd want to. My insurance company doesn't want to hear about this either. Honestly, I think I won't be buying any more of their products because of this, which is stupid because they are very good and they really suit my workflow...

Add me to the list. I bought the VSL SE Woodwinds, and the SE Volume 4(seldom-used instruments are my kryptonite) when on sale and I love them. However, I only really realized what their policy regarding lost, stolen or damaged elicenser was after I had made my purchase. I travel a lot and this makes me too nervous to travel with my key - which means I use the instruments much less than I'd want to. My insurance company doesn't want to hear about this either. Honestly, I think I won't be buying any more of their products because of this, which is stupid because they are very good and they really suit my workflow...

Top Bottom