What's new

Poll: What factors influence you when purchasing new libraries and VSTs?

What factors influence you when purchasing new libraries and VSTs. (Check all that apply)

• Price

Votes: 95 70.4%
  • Sales

Votes: 72 53.3%
  • Loyalty discounts and/or bundles

Votes: 62 45.9%
  • Usefulness to you or your current project

Votes: 80 59.3%
  • Uniqueness

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • Quality of patches/sounds

Votes: 111 82.2%
  • Quantity of patches/sounds

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • Company reputation

Votes: 53 39.3%
  • Marketing not-over-hyped

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • Walkthroughs

Votes: 83 61.5%
  • Demos

Votes: 51 37.8%
  • GUI

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Complexity, tweakability

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Option to import samples

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • License transferable

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • Copy Protection

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • Refundable or demo/trial is available

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • Content size (50+ GB!!!)

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Content size (<10GB, small footprint)

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I just like to buy things

Votes: 16 11.9%
  • Reviews

Votes: 33 24.4%
  • NKS support

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Public opinion

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • Playability, ease of use

Votes: 35 25.9%

• Total voters
Probably just an indication of the amount of hobbyists on the forum.
Many hobbyists have a regular income and are often willing to spend a lot on their hobbies.
And not only do many pros have fluctuating income - some of us also want a lot if libraries, and therefore need to spend our money wisely.

Many hobbyists have a regular income and are often willing to spend a lot on their hobbies.
And not only do many pros have fluctuating income - some of us also want a lot if libraries, and therefore need to spend our money wisely.

True. Without those hobbyists, this market wouldn´t be so huge

Last edited:

I’ve found it the opposite, people who spend their “hard earned” money and are most likely not going to see a return on the outlay, are going to be a lot more choosy about what they get and are going to be a lot more concerned with the price. While people earning a living from it are going to see it more as an investment.

Like me for instance, I sell books for a living and think nothing of spending £500 on books at a time. But even the most avid book lover is going to be reluctant to spend half a grand on books every month. Even if it is their favourite past time/hobby.

Last edited:
3 votes for NKS support, this is no big surprise. It seems like most people don´t want to spend so much money for the NI controllers.

Up to 6 as of now! Hehe. NKS support is indeed a big one for me, having both an S88 and, as of Tuesday, an S61 Mk2. I tend to be a bit of a brand loyalist — to my own detriment at times, perhaps — and have historically been more or less all-in with Orchestral Tools. But during the recent Black Friday sales, I picked up Spitfire Symphony Orchestra — and the impetus for that was Spitfire's NKS support.

Regular sales or discounts. This is an important factor for musicians, bands and producers on a tight budget.
OHHHH....... got it.... This confirms that English is not my first language.:sad: It didn't cross to my mind. To me it was "how many copies has the product been sold".

Thanks for the explanation.

That is also a very important consideration for me when choosing to buy.

I don't think hat "Playability" and "Ease of use" belong into the same category. Playability means the possibility to play the sounds in a natural way (instead of pasting together different articulations per key switch or the need of different tracks for one instrument or even use it for certain musical situations only). This is often far away from "easy to use". Often a lot of configuration is needed to adapt a library to the own needs and workflow.

So the three big ones are:
Quality of patches/sounds 82,9 %
Price 69,8 %
Walkthroughs 60,5 %

Not surprised. But I am surprised that License transferable/Trial version available got so few.

Up to 6 as of now! Hehe. NKS support is indeed a big one for me, having both an S88 and, as of Tuesday, an S61 Mk2. I tend to be a bit of a brand loyalist — to my own detriment at times, perhaps — and have historically been more or less all-in with Orchestral Tools. But during the recent Black Friday sales, I picked up Spitfire Symphony Orchestra — and the impetus for that was Spitfire's NKS support.
It's very high up on my list too. The convenience of a library having NKS-support is great. The keyboard has great action also, btw.

Top Bottom