What's new

TouchOsc?

I'm assuming your iPad isn't your only MIDI controller in this situation. You might try putting it on it's own MIDI channel altogether.

So is TouchOSC not connecting to Kontakt under Studio One, or does it connect and you have a responsiveness issue? Does Studio One use VST format plugins?
Thanks for reply - TouchOSC is not connecting to Kontakt within Studio One. (Studio One has no issues with the many other VST plugins that I usually run)

Thanks for reply - TouchOSC is not connecting to Kontakt within Studio One. (Studio One has no issues with the many other VST plugins that I usually run)
Have you installed TouchOSC Bridge? Is TouchOSC Bridge activated as a MIDI device in Studio One? It the MIDI input on your Kontakt instrument channel set to receive both your keyboard controller and TouchOSC?

I absolutely love using TouchOSC, incidentally I made a template for myself for Chris Hein's solo strings recently. It works amazingly well and even on the cheapest Fire tablet, got one for fifty bucks to replace an aging tablet and you don't need anything more than that.

However it isn't perfect. Setup can sometimes be frustrating. By that, I mean that every once in a while I need to change the IP addresses in the app, etc. Also I use keyswitching from time to time and the app seems to not transmit my note-off recently. Other than that it's a life saver. Even a more complicated setup can be done in less than a half hour.

However it isn't perfect. Setup can sometimes be frustrating. By that, I mean that every once in a while I need to change the IP addresses in the app, etc.

Did you set a static IP address for your music computer? Most Wi-Fi routers assign IP addresses according to how many devices are on at the moment (and in which order they showed up).

How did you setup ARTZid-logic-TouchOSC? Any link or tutorial you can refer me to?

I have those 3 and an iPad Pro and haven’t really sat down to make them work together.

Will the ARTzID once setup have the same articulations for all your sample libraries?

Thanks.

It’s all in the manual of ARTZID and TouchOSC. Spend 30 min reading and you’ll get it. It’s very easy to do. I make a separate TouchOSC page for each instrument and just copy my CC 1 and 11 faders over so it’s available on each page. My s-itfore chamber Strings is the biggest, but I’ve set it up with the combinatrix ARTzID channel strip, so that all articulations are the same TouchOSC button for all sections - one controller page always selects the same articulation wether it’s 1sts, 2nds, violas etc...

I also run the TouchOSC connection over usb. Rock steady compared to WiFi which always gave me problems.

It’s all in the manual of ARTZID and TouchOSC. Spend 30 min reading and you’ll get it. It’s very easy to do. I make a separate TouchOSC page for each instrument and just copy my CC 1 and 11 faders over so it’s available on each page. My s-itfore chamber Strings is the biggest, but I’ve set it up with the combinatrix ARTzID channel strip, so that all articulations are the same TouchOSC button for all sections - one controller page always selects the same articulation wether it’s 1sts, 2nds, violas etc...

I also run the TouchOSC connection over usb. Rock steady compared to WiFi which always gave me problems.

Thank you!

Have you installed TouchOSC Bridge? Is TouchOSC Bridge activated as a MIDI device in Studio One? It the MIDI input on your Kontakt instrument channel set to receive both your keyboard controller and TouchOSC?
A late reply I know... -But thanks VV - and yes, all that has been carried out - however, it still does not work (obviously an S1 issue?)

Not to start a "mine is better than yours" thing, but I've never been able to fully use touch osc. I've used Metagrid for a while now, but still want to get into Touch OSC.....does any one know how the two stack up against each other?

Not to start a "mine is better than yours" thing, but I've never been able to fully use touch osc. I've used Metagrid for a while now, but still want to get into Touch OSC.....does any one know how the two stack up against each other?
Hello Phillip (and a happy Christmas!) - how well does Metagrid integrate with the likes of Studio One? (I've had no response whatsoever from Hexler - possibly they have gone away for Christmas? - or ....?). Is it possible to set up your own custom templates within your DAW using Metagrid?

Are there other apps for iPad devices which are growing in MIDI controller field?
No-one seems to have mentioned Lemur yet - may be worth checking out.

I've just started using TouchOSC on my 1st gen Nexus 7 and for my fairly basic purposes (controlling parameters of synth plug-ins), it's amazing. My impression is that it's at the lower-end of the touch screen midi app market, but that's reflected in the price. Pros: Cheap, easy to pick up how to design layouts, huge amount of flexibility with what it offers. Cons: More complex layouts can be laborious to set up, no step sequencer-type controller, no USB connection available on Android (as far as I can see), limited colour options (9).

Given I was considering spending £40 on a hardware midi controller, I'm really glad I came across this first.

Also, aren't Android tablets much less than Apple devices - do they work just as well for this purpose?

Yes, pretty much any current Android tablet will do for that purpose although iOS has much better apps in general for tablets.

Can anyone point me to a video explaining how to create multiple tabs/pages in the same TouchOSC template? I would like to create a tab for each instrument so that I can quickly switch through them as I change tracks.

Yes, pretty much any current Android tablet will do for that purpose although iOS has much better apps in general for tablets.

Thanks for the input. Turns out... Santa couldn't wait and went ahead and brought me the 2017 iPad. I'm working my way through my newly-installed TouchOSC as we speak.

My DX7 is 30 years old and still works fine without any update. ;)
I like it when working devices don't change.

I don't know because I don't have any Android device. Hexlers website says it works on Android.

In the template, I also included a simple 127 fader page which is perfect to control any instrument.
Just right click on a Kontakt button, move any of the 127 faders and your automation is ready.
It takes less than a minute to name the fader, save it and be ready for the next session.

Chris Hein

(I feel the same way about my 31 year old Oberheim Xk MIDI controller.)

Chris - In my files, I've got a doc entitled, "How to install Chris Hein - Violin Realtime Controls on your iPhone / iPad" (I don't remember where it came from, but there it is).

The 3rd line down says, "Open the file „CH-Violin_RT-Controls_iPad.touchosc“ from the Extras folder in the TouchOSC Editor."

I don't see any "Extras" folder in TouchOSC Editor.

There's a "Layouts" folder, but this does not contain your template, either. It looks like this:

qHuP5Il.png

After watching the Youtube vid demonstrating your template, I gotta' have it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: OK. In the Solo Violin folder is a folder called "Extras". However, the only thing in there are the instructions, not the *.touchosc file. Anyone have any clues?

EDIT 2: Not that anyone's paying attention, but, I've written to BestService for assistance. Also, on Chris Hein's website, I see some downloads. One is called, "All_MidiCC.touchosc." Maybe I'll give that a try. The worst that could happen is my machine will blow up.
(Tried it. Nope, that ain't it... AND my machine didn't blow up - little victories...).

EDIT 3: I wrote to CH directly and he hooked me up within a few hours. I should've done that in the first place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom