What's new

Native Access: installing on second computer

Hey folks. I picked up Thrill during the Black Friday fiesta, and have it installed on my master computer. I’d like to move it to my slave PC, but have a really slow internet connection at my studio and don’t want to re-download a 30 GB library if I can help it. I can’t figure out how to make this happen with Native Access, it seems to want to start from scratch. It seems like it should be possible, any suggestions?

I just copy the uncompressed library from one computer to the other. I have Native Access of both computers to install them.

Yeah, that's what I would usually do. I've copied the library to a sample drive on the slave, and if I try to open the nki from the Files menu I get the "Your new library needs to be added before this instrument can be used. Please got to Kontakt's Libraries tab and press the Add Library button" message. There isn't an Add Library button anymore, if I click Manage Libraries it takes me back to Native Access. Thrill shows up under the Not Installed libraries, if I click Add Library it shows that it's installing, but just sits on 0%, which seems like it's slowly trying to download it again. If I click on any of the other ones in the Not Installed tab I get asked to point to the folder of unzipped files, but not Thrill. It's a little odd.

I had a similar issue earlier today. After a bit of googling I found an article on the NI site (sorry, not on my PC right now so have no link). To cut a long story short I had to re-install Kontakt 5.6.6 and use the Add Library function that has since been removed in later versions..

Fun .. Fun .. Fun ..

Hopefully someone else will suggest a better solution and this keeps biting me as well.

Edit: I should also mention that having added the library in question with the older Kontakt version I then had to run Native Access to update Kontakt back to 5.7.x.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken (an admittedly big "if"), instead of adding the library in the Kontakt libraries tab, you can add it in Native Access. After copying the files to the new location, open Native Access, log in to your account, click on "Add a serial". After entering the serial number, you will be prompted to browse to the location where the library is installed. It's possible that you will have to uninstall the library from the first computer before this will work.

Hey, thanks for the replies. I ended up downgrading to 5.6.6, adding the library and then re-upgrading. Kind of a roundabout way of getting there, but it worked, thanks for the suggestion.

I’d tried re-adding the serial number, but it tried to download the whole thing again.

Anyways, it’s all good now. Thanks!

Yeah, I think the add library thing and browse to the files only works with a non-NI library. With the NI stuff, you have to download it.

I've just done this today. An absolute pain as several libraries were crashing 5.6.6 when trying to add them, and then I couldn't update to 5.7 because native access was crashing on start. They really need to sort this procedure out, as the problem isn't going to go away. Who wants to download terabytes of data everytime they get a new machine?

Come on, it's not terabytes :)

3rd party KP libraries can be added by simply copying them over, then adding serial in NA and pointing to library folder that has .nicnt. As for NI's own stuff, retaining downloads is on the roadmap, it'll happen in one of the updates. Which one is anyone's guess, but the NI is aware of the request.

3rd party KP libraries can be added by simply copying them over, then adding serial in NA and pointing to library folder that has .nicnt. As for NI's own stuff, retaining downloads is on the roadmap, it'll happen in one of the updates. Which one is anyone's guess, but the NI is aware of the request.

If I had to re-download all my kontakt libs, mine would be well into the terabytes! What was extra annoying was that I had to re-download all my maschine expansions and library today too, even though I had them on external drives from my last setup. Loooong day :sleep:

Just to add, I had no idea I could simply add the serials in native access. Why the hell does the NI support docs not tell you that?

It's certainly gratifying to hear they're making such incredible progress! Call me an impossible dreamer, but maybe someday, years down the road, Native Access will actually evolve to a point where it becomes 75-80% as functional and user-friendly as the old Service Center LOL.

Just to add, I had no idea I could simply add the serials in native access. Why the hell does the NI support docs not tell you that?

They do: https://support.native-instruments....5889-Setting-Up-a-Third-Party-KONTAKT-Library

:D

Call me an impossible dreamer, but maybe someday, years down the road, Native Access will actually evolve to a point where it becomes 75-80% as functional and user-friendly as the old Service Center LOL.

SC also had its fair share of issues and certainly wasn't as good in its first several versions as it ended up being. Perhaps you weren't there when it also knew to wreak havoc not much different from NA in its early stages. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom