What's new

Presonus Faderport 16

Very Disappointing, also they didnt mentioned, they would be making fp16 after fp8 that also pisses the buyers of fp8 as some of them wished if they could have 16 channels at once...

why is it so difficult to implement cc function in these controllers, now more than ever there is the need to control parameters with cc data?:confused:

Someone here is coming out or came out with a utility that will let you use any controller for Midi CC. Anyone have that thread handy ?

HARDWARE iLok? pffft....

I don't know why people vilify software developers who need to protect their products from theft. If developers can't make money, we can't have nice things.

I think Dfader is very exciting, it's the solution i've been looking for to control the more complex VI's I work with. A volume only mixer is not so helpful to me when I'm scoring. Being able to see, for instance in Studio Strings, dynamics, vibrato level, legato speed, expression levels, all at the same time, and most importantly be able to grab and overwrite on the fly would be invaluable to me.

Besides the CC issue, there are some other missing items for mixing. Bank/page up/down buttons, record ready buttons, and will the board follow the track selection in the DAW? If not this would slow down workflow quite a bit.

All this works well on an Avid Artist Mix now, and I wonder if this has the nice quiet faders on the Artist mix. The only advantage I can see in this is the 16 faders over 8, but keep in mind I picked up the Artist mix from ebay in excellent condition for $450. Kind of makes the $999 price tag a little crazy. Eventually someone will come up with a fully loaded version of this for $500, and they will sell many more. But at $999 it better be built like a tank (a quiet tank ;) ) and have a CC solution.

I think Dfader is very exciting, it's the solution i've been looking for to control the more complex VI's I work with. A volume only mixer is not so helpful to me when I'm scoring. Being able to see, for instance in Studio Strings, dynamics, vibrato level, legato speed, expression levels, all at the same time, and most importantly be able to grab and overwrite on the fly would be invaluable to me.

This is the current issue with most moving fader controllers, many of them do not control or playback midi CC information, meaning the faders are only used for volume or send levels. Hopefully this can be resolved without going to a 3rd party app, since that would involve more routing issues.

I suppose the issue is midi CC's are fixed numbers 1-127, instead of a steady stream of info with more precise incriments (you can see this when you edit CC info in the track) and the faders, to feel natural, need to be much more precise. Perhaps the information could be fine tuned (adding points between 125 and 126 for example), but it would need to know in advance whether the next CC change is in the positive or negative direction, and DAW's do not have a "look ahead" function when it comes to CC numbers (especially when playing live). Perhaps in future DAW's will fix this, or someone like NI will come up with a finer system of control (128 points on a scale is kind of rough when your dealing with a instrument that has a large dynamic range with thousands of samples).

This is probably why most CC controllers (faders, knobs, or wheels) have no playback function. When you grab it in record, the number just jumps to that value, and would need to be fixed in editing if necessary. This is what we try to avoid with moving faders, and why touch faders are so great, touch them to record, let them go and they return to playback. Very simple (At least on the Artist mix :) ).

This is probably why most CC controllers (faders, knobs, or wheels) have no playback function.

The cc controllers don't playback because the DAWs (at least the ones which I know) don't output the pre-recorded cc values. It is a matter of MIDI routing inside the DAW, not a controller failure.

I don't know why people vilify software developers who need to protect their products from theft. If developers can't make money, we can't have nice things.

I did no such thing. I have a dozen iLok'd programmes, SOFTWARE iLok...

Hello!
The new promised DFader version wih the MIDIcc feature is available on the deviltechnologies.com web-site.

Does anyone have it working with an actual controller, reading and writing MIDI CCs? I'd be very interested to see an actual demo; if it works, I'd buy a copy immediately.

Does anyone have it working with an actual controller, reading and writing MIDI CCs? I'd be very interested to see an actual demo; if it works, I'd buy a copy immediately.

The version with the MIDIcc feature was released today. I doubt that somebody has already done a video. Anyway, there will be a video on the web-site.

Why shouldn't it work? It was designed exactly for this:)
If you own a HUI or Mackie-Control compatible controller, you can immediately test it with a trial license.
BUT, you said: "reading and writing MIDI CCs". Writing is OK, but what about "reading"?

The version with the MIDIcc feature was released today. I doubt that somebody has already done a video. Anyway, there will be a video on the web-site.

Why shouldn't it work? It was designed exactly for this:)

Well, if half the software I own did most of what it was designed and marketed to do, my life would be substantially different today - that's why

Well, if half the software I own did most of what it was designed and marketed to do, my life would be substantially different today - that's why

Ah, because you are a diligent user.
I am lazy and I seldom read the manuals of my DAW. I am sure that I only know 2% of its capabilities:crying:

Top Bottom