What's new

Do you already have what you need?

I don't make my living from music. I travel a lot for work, and I work pretty ruthless hours.

I often joke that my boss never appreciates what I do, doesn't pay me half of what I'm worth, and makes me work ridiculous hours with precious little thanks - and if I didn't own the company I'd quit. But it is kind of true.

Music for me is 'smelling the roses' of life, and I worry if I tried to do it for a living it would stop being that. (Plus, I'd have to be a very successful composer to replace my income level and I have a family to support. Hats off to those of you who manage to do so).

I've stopped buying a lot of stuff, because what I really need more than anything, is the time to enjoy it....

I thought I had what I need...

Until I bought a second hand Eventide Space today!

The good news is that I can't buy anymore of the Eventide "factor" stompboxes now...

Because I have them all! Mwah ha ha!

Just got Komplete so I'm good for now. Although I also want the NI symphony series. Waiting on the (inevitable) Black Friday sale for that..

This thread REALLY resonates with me. I actually have the YouTube link below bookmarked to remind myself that I need to work harder at knowing my existing VIs...(AND orchestration!) it's all done with EWQLSO Gold. The mix is a bit thin, but I find it very inspiring nonetheless:

Here's another one: https://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=23234&page=1

And just as every one was getting comfortable with librarys and saying within ones heart I want need any library's for a long time to come yes just as you thought it was all over,..........VSL decides to come up with a new string library.

Yes I know the feeling,( are you kidding me)

I kid you not............

Spitfire LCO is becoming more and more interesting to me; even though I lean heavily on (and deeply love) EW Hollywood I might have to scoop that one up. There are too many things I can do with it that I either outright can't or don't want to waste excessive time doing.

Other than that, meh. For now of course ;)

The problem with samples is that they are mere snapshots of an audio so they are bound to sound same everytime you trigger them but thats not the case with the live musicians, their performance depends upon many things the environment, mood and even the sound of the instrument ( lets put it like this-if a violinist will play someone else’s violin they Might sometimes sound different... ) so the reason to add more libraries to you arsenal is just to expand the sonic capabilities of your pallette,

Libraries are created with certain mindsets, which sometimes limits them to particular emotion for example LASS sounds more emotional then Symphobia(it could be a personal taste too IMHO) while kirk hunters no matter what you do most of them sound mellow.. so sometimes you just cant get what you want and you might end up searching or buying another library,

Well i feel that all these libraries in combination creates a virtual orchestra, so an orchestra is an orchestra so you want all the optains available that an orchestra can do, may be more set of articulations, tutti and clusters and everything that enables you to do prettymuch everything that you desire

Some strings sound dry at close mic positions some always sound little distant even at close mics ,and I am sure you are aware of round robins, some libraries have 8 sets some offer even 12 or more but if you program fast staccatos or ostinatos you will notice even after having so many round robins still in some cases they form a pattern or sound totally different after ending of every measure, though you can fix it in many ways but the easiest way to fix this problem is to layer it with other library and it just works great, its always good to have different libraries if you can afford but dont be a library freak as at the end of the day its you who is going to create music not those samples..i tried to answer it in more as a musicians perspective as we all are... hope it helps cheers....

Last edited:
VIs aren't cheap, where else could the money be spent if you're already happy but have money to burn? Buy a cheap cello from the local charity shop and a half-decent mic, get an analog synth, a space echo, rent something etc

I knew I would never get enough of what I want, so I decided from the start to get only a 500gb external SSD to limit to only what I need (plus another 1TB 7200 hard drive for saving project files + less demanding libraries, mostly percussion and Kontakt factory stuffs)

Top Bottom