What's new

Best Service activation rant. What's the idea?!

Goldie Zwecker

So, i had to make some windows OS updates and in the process all the activations and licences were deleted. Retrieving the license for cubase was quick. Also for Omnisphere 2.
But all the libraries for Engine 2 by Eduardo Tarilonte from Best Service.de were a different story.
It seems they give you a limited number of re-activating your product. So it went from 1 out of 3 activations to 2 out of 3. What if this will happen again? Then i will finish all the re-activation options i got.

Now, what is this crooked way of thinking and making business? With spectrasonics for example, you're not limited to the number of re-activating or re-authorizing your products.
Perhaps someone forgot - we are talking about product which are fully paid for, yes?

Personally, I wouldn't get too excited about that. All one really needs to do most times is simply and politely contact the company or the developer and ask them to reset the number of downloads. Legitimate users will usually have no problems at all. The limits on downloads are there for a very good reason. Hope that helps.

Personally, I wouldn't get too excited about that. All one really needs to do most times is simply and politely contact the company or the developer and ask them to reset the number of downloads. Legitimate users will usually have no problems at all. The limits on downloads are there for a very good reason. Hope that helps.
Thanks!
I understand their motivation for limiting the number of activation times. But on the other hand it is a fact that other companies, with more expensive libraries - have no problem not limiting this at all. And if the fear of pirating is the same - then how will you explain the difference?

Goldie, I had the same problem as you when I did an OS update, and when I contacted the Best Service support, they were pretty cool about it:

"Hi Robert,

i also think that the bios update is the reason for the need to activate again. No need to worry, just let us know as soon you´ve used up all activations (3/3) and we´ll reset the counters.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Martin Schreiber
Best Service Support Team"

I remember Eduardo personally answering me the same way when I had a problem before...

They will reset the counter as needed. It can be a bit of a pain but it prevents abuse. And people wonder why I don't mind using iLok and eLicenser...

I had the same issue when I setup my latest PC. Contacted support and they reset everything. They have a pretty good and responsive support.

I've never had trouble with Best Service re-activating my licenses.
I just fire off an email and always hear back pretty much straight away.

Toontrack allows up to 4 activations as far as I know, and some companies like Ample Sound allow you to only re-activate products every six months.
I think the e-Licenser or something like Waves Central to move licenses between your computers and the company´s cloud is the best authorisation system for someone who needs frequenctly system or machine setups and updates.

The only thing that wasn't affected by the OS update was everything by Native Instruments. Their service center is above this, thus staying unaffected.
Waldorf plugins as well.

Toontrack allows up to 4 activations as far as I know, and some companies like Ample Sound allow you to only re-activate products every six months.
I think the e-Licenser or something like Waves Central to move licenses between your computers and the company´s cloud is the best authorisation system for someone who needs frequenctly system or machine setups and updates.
Toontrack have also reset my activations before, a few years ago

Hello guys,
I understand your frustration, but please rest assured you will never run out of activations. It is just a protection system to avoid multiple user installations with the same serial.
Once you run out of activations, please write best service and they will reset your activation counter again. You will always have your libraries ready to be used :)
Sorry for the inconveniences.

Tari

Hi guys,
same problems here (repeatedly) - resolved by a very kind response from Best Service.
Nice day to you all.
Steve

The only thing that wasn't affected by the OS update was everything by Native Instruments. Their service center is above this, thus staying unaffected.
Waldorf plugins as well.

All these machine-locked copy protection systems use different techniques to determine whether the machine has changed or not. If the software doesn't monitor BIOS version, it won't notice the change. Plug in a different network card and it might be a different story.

Top Bottom