What's new

Anybody seen this yet: The Orchestra

To get to the questions mentioned here:
Pretty cool. Enjoying it. Because I'm too lazy to RTFM... do you suppose there's anyway to universally disable the reverb or is it automatically turned on in every preset and patch? I love the sound dry... it's a drag to have to turn off the reverb every time you switch patches?

I think a lot of people are missing a major point with this library, yes some people will use the 30 patches or what ever it is you mentioned but those who want to dig deeper and change every parameter, can make their own patches alter the pre-existing ones etc...it is all malleable.

3 arpeggiators and 2 envelopes with basic controls. Yeah it's malleable and you can stack multiple instances of the ensemble engine, but still you are limited to what the engine can do. Anyway, I don't want to put anyone off, I think it's a nice tool and there's definitely a market for it!

Mum? Is that you?

source.gif

I'm actually very impresssed with this library (and I'm a purist, hate phrases). Almost too good to be true.

The only things I didn't like the library was:
-Woodwinds are a bit "synthy" but I like them
-cellos range not high enough
-violin 1 range almost not high enough
-trombone range not high enough (but acceptable)
-Horns just need half a step higher range, would've been nice.
-A bit more vibrato for the strings would've been nice
-Reverb should've never been on by default.

Fixing the range of the instruments doesn't sound like an easily patchable fix to me, am I wrong? I mean, wouldn't that require more samples?

Fixing the range of the instruments doesn't sound like an easily patchable fix to me, am I wrong? I mean, wouldn't that require more samples?

Of course unless they really wanted to. But I doubt for "epic", those few notes extra for the range isn't really going to be needed". I was only speaking as a purist since I love to pretend that an orchestra library could do everything, which would've been nice with the few notes added for the range but that's me wishful thinking lol

So what's the secret, a 150 ready to play ensemble, from what I hear it sounds good, Strings, percussion, brass, choir,
but only 7 gig /10 gig uncompressed full size sample library.

So what have they done, I just been checking out spit fires tool kit and yes 150 gig of sampling going on there.

I have string library's @ 56 gig and brass library's @ 40 gig.

So how did they pull this one off with such a small sample foot print, and getting it to sound ok too.

So what's the secret, a 150 ready to play ensemble, from what I hear it sounds good, Strings, percussion, brass, choir,

So what have they done, I just been checking out spit fires tool kit and yes 150 gig of sampling going on there.

I have string library's @ 56 gig and brass library's @ 40 gig.

So how did they pull this one off with such a small sample foot print, and getting it to sound ok too.
Secret sauce.
(Snugly trimmed samples, only one mic position, few velocity layers, and who knows, maybe some compression?)

Thank you all for your kind words!
To get to the questions mentioned here:

The engine uses multiple optimised arpeggiators instead of midi files, so no, it is currently not possible to export MIDI files from the engine. Everything is generated the moment you press the keys, and the very nature of arpeggiators makes a direct transfer to MIDI-Files quite complex.
However we have received this suggestion a few times already in this short time, so we might look into the possibilities on this issue. We can't make any promises at this point though.

We have edited all samples very tightly to avoid just that. The generated phrases should sync up fine with your host tempo.
I purchased "Vivace" a while back, and they did provided a pdf of the orchestral performances used in their software as an option which I took advantage of by buying the pdf. I loved the sound of the Animated Orchestral "Icy Lake" preset. However, If you were to try and transcribe what you were doing here, to make an actual orchestral score to present to an orchestra, is it possible to do this? I saw that Ruffian Price said that you can export the midi of an arpeggio pattern created by the library, but I was wondering how you would go about scoring something that you created and giving it to an orchestra to play. Thanks kindly if you can answer my query here.

Steve. :)

This used to be the norm! Then, I guess, two things happened: 1) DVD capacity stopped being a limiting factor as more people chose digital delivery, 2) library size became a selling point (think about it, why would you even advertise "uncompressed size"? It doesn't matter to the user in the slightest). The single mic position makes the most difference here, consider the Hollywood Orchestra Gold vs Diamond (although that's also 16-bit vs 24-bit), that's a six-fold space requirement increase.

Those wishing for midi drag and drop, all the Sonokinetic stuff has it. But in practice its not that straightforward to replicate the phrasing.

Sure you get all the right notes, but with some titles like Maximo the phrases are using a variety of articulations for example it might be Staccato, Marcato, Portato and maybe some notes connected.

You can get close, but often there is just that "something" missing.

Can anyone confirm if you can change any of the articulations used in the "Colours" as listening to Reuben's overview some sound better than others?

Those wishing for midi drag and drop, all the Sonokinetic stuff has it. But in practice its not that straightforward to replicate the phrasing.

Sure you get all the right notes, but with some titles like Maximo the phrases are using a variety of articulations for example it might be Staccato, Marcato, Portato and maybe some notes connected.

Can anyone confirm if you can change any of the articulations used in the "Colours" as listening to Reuben's overview some sound better than others?

yes - you can put any instrument / articulation into any of the 5 slots in The_Orchestra.nki and then adjust the arps and envelopes to suit your performance. The presets are good but they're just a jumping off point.

Ja, but as these aren't real phrases compared to something like Maximo, I'm thinking they'd be better suited to simple midi drag and drop. This also leads me to wonder then how good this libraries arps sound in that case, to real phrases. Anyone had chance to compare to something phrase based from Sonokinetic?

if you listen to all of the posted soundclouds, their engine seems pretty good... and much easier to use than the Ostinatum generator Spitfire has. I've always had a love/hate with that dinky little tool...

As I don't do traditional composing, this'll be fun to layer creatively into traditional songs or build a song around some vamping... Well executed and it's nice that these kinda tools (ie, Novo) are being created...

I've listened over and over to Reubens playthrough of the colours and some do sound really good, some to me seem to be using the wrong articulations which is why I asked.

Personally I am most interested in the the Rhythms, Colours and the Symphobia like combos for quick gratification.

Not really interested in the split out instruments.

Having carefuly watched the walkthrough and the samplecast review, I really love the engine. It's not so much the "time saver" thing, every good DAW has the envelope and arpeggiator capabilities. I was skeptical for this reason. It's more about how inspiring they seem. I can imagine myself being "stuck", loading two or three engine instances, playing five minutes with them, and get loaded on ideas. I am also really impressed by the size of the library - unbelievable at first, but explainable. The con : I am not a big fan of the individual instruments. It's not the roughness (I like rough tones), it's really a lack of agility and expressivity. I can't imagine them make it to a final track. Hence my conclusion: it seems like the best sketching/inspiration tool I've ever seen, and it's really cheap. It could also be a great first library - though something like Bernard Herrmann would be more fitting as a learning tool, a good compromise between access to a minimum of details and not-being-overwhelmed and not becoming-lazy. The Orchestra would be for me something like a quick starter before reinputing the MIDI data to deeper sampled libraries. Hence the importance of exporting the MIDI data. Did someone try with the Orchestra @RuffianPrice workaround with Kontakt's arpeggiators?

Even without drag & drop, it's possible to record MIDI output from Kontakt's arpeggiators in your DAW, as long as this option is enabled:
Ux45tcc.png

Unfortunately for us Logic users, this will not work as until they update it to support Midi output from plugins (a feature in the AU spec for ages but not yet implemented), the only method to do this involves the IAC and a whole lot of grief.

At one point I was considering this library over the BHT from Spitfire. When I started reading about how it seems best for sketching I completely dumped the idea. I have all I need for sketching with the Albions, and I LOVE them for that. They never get old for me.

I realize this might be more of a full orchestra sketching tool, which of course is different from the Albions, but templates solve that quite easily for me.

So, all respect for the developers, The Orchestra looks like a fine sketching tool...but now I'm especially glad I went with the BHT. Just my opinion. I could be wrong on any of these points.

I don't care about the built in reverbs interfering with blending as I always turn them off and then re-save the patches in every library. That said, after watching the video review, I am less interested.

Top Bottom