What's new

Spitfire Audio - Spitfire Symphonic Brass

Glad to see an update, but also would like to know what it addressed. Bad move on my part to not install the update to a different location and manually update later to see what changed. Based on folder dates, it seems that the updates were only to the samples folder, not the instruments folder. *edit* Nope, seems all NKI's were updated as well, I just didn't recognize it as such because the date shows 11/1 not today. Changes in the samples folder seem limited to contrabass tuba.

Hello guys,

first, I want to say I am a big user of Spitfire instruments, making them most of my sound palet. Sunch an incredible and innovative sound creators!

Next, was checking out with the new Tuba Contrabas long note inside Spitfire Symphonic Brass giant, and get back a strange waving sound at loud dynamic especially.

Just would like to know if any of you guys using tha instrument gets same results or maybe is some problem of my local install.

Here below an example: long notes sound as waving loops

Shoud I rather expect a long continuous sound instead ?

Just would like to know if any of you guys using tha instrument gets same results or maybe is some problem of my local install.

Haven't yet used the CB tuba, but loaded it up to have a quick try - I am hearing the exact same issue.

Seems like the character and volume changes so much that every time the long articulation loops there's an audible bump.

You should file an official support ticket with your findings. I'll be doing the same.

EDIT: I gave it another listen and actually I am not sure they can do much here. Producing those low notes is quite challenging for the performer and takes a lot of air, so they can't hold the note for too long. From listening to the notes, I am not sure it ever settles into something uniform enough to create a clean loop.

Last edited:
Producing those low notes is quite challenging for the performer and takes a lot of air, so they can't hold the note for too long. From listening to the notes, I am not sure it ever settles into something uniform enough to create a clean loop.

Yep, this seems to be the crux of the issue here.

With that in mind, and minding that I know very little about orchestration, perhaps it's a good thing to only write with it as a real player could play? Or forget that and stick it through Paul Stretch and get the Tuba to play a 3 week long note. Don't forget to ride that Modwheel. Wouldn't want it to sound unrealistically lifeless. ;)

Just my 2 cents, as a contrabass tuba player. (Almost all tuba players in the US, and some other countries play the contrabass tuba in most orchestras and concert bands - the bass tuba is considered a specialty instrument for brass quintets or high solo passages in orchestral music -- in most of Europe the standard orchestral instrument is the Bass tuba in F). It looks like the SSB Contrabass tuba has 3 dynamic levels, naturally the softest layer has the longest notes and smoothest loops. I think it would make sense, and make the contrabass tuba more useable, if that lowest dynamic's loudness was raised and used to cover more of the mod wheel range, then let the MF and FF samples come in much closer to the top mod wheel range.

As for the question raised in this thread earlier about additional instruments, and where to go with expansions. (which I hope will be done). Piccolo trumpet, Flugelhorn, and Euphonium would be my list for additional instruments. (Maybe a Wagner tuba - they are somewhat common in film music, generally played by the horn players I think) Then as an expansion give us 2nd and 3rd trumpets, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th horns, and an additional tenor trombone.

Hello guys,

first, I want to say I am a big user of Spitfire instruments, making them most of my sound palet. Sunch an incredible and innovative sound creators!

Next, was checking out with the new Tuba Contrabas long note inside Spitfire Symphonic Brass giant, and get back a strange waving sound at loud dynamic especially.

Here below an example: long notes sound as waving loops

Shoud I rather expect a long continuous sound instead ?

Exactly the same here. I sent a ticket in on it - while I realize the physical limitations of the instrument, it seems they could have done a better job looping it.

I also have noticed very noticeable falls on the releases of the horns a6 longs and legato (horns a2 and solo are fine), much like the brass in the original Albion 1. I'm more concerned about a potential install issue on this since I do not hear this in the walkthrough video with the same patch.

Anyone noticing this?

Really love the sound and variety of arts in these SF libraries, but am starting to find it a bit time consuming to set everything up. Not sure why the multi-tongue arts aren't included in neither the core nor decorative patches? When not possible to put all in 1, then at least make sure that all are in two patches maxi (excluding of course the protected legato patches).

Would love to see a SF "build your own patch" container, letting us freely combine articulations into patches. Seems that's the direction that some other dev's are headed.

Last edited:
any updates regarding including the highest dynamics (or at least fortissimo) in solo trumpet/solo horn legato patches?

anything published what it is for????
No, there is no change log. (Or at least nothing since Dec 2016.)

I do see a few small bugs I reported fixed, but I don't know where the 1.6GB size is coming from. Clearly something more substantial has changed to account for the size of the update.

Incidentally, update for Symphonic Woodwinds too. Patches likewise brought up to Interface v2.11.7, which, since the previous update, (presumably among other things -- no changelog there either) now allows more mixing control per mic perspective.

Top Bottom