What's new

LPX - Track visibility management - UXD concept

Would you welcome a better way to manage high track counts

• Total voters

samphony

since years I wish for a better way to manage large track counts in logic.
The group hide key commands that are still only available for the first 9 of the 32 available groups inspired me to think about an overall improvement to filter tracks while typing.

Of course cubase, reaper and now DP 9.02 take large track counts into account already and give their users the ability to manage these conveniently.

Therefore logic should give the user the ability to create hide groups etc.

file.php
file.php
file.php

Last edited:
It seems redundant to me to have it as its own tab. Why not just add the search field above the actual track headers and have the options in the inspector? I might be missing a part of your intended implementation, but when I see a GUI with two windows that show almost the exact same information, I wonder how it can be condensed.

It seems redundant to me to have it as its own tab. Why not just add the search field above the actual track headers and have the options in the inspector? I might be missing a part of your intended implementation, but when I see a GUI with two windows that show almost the exact same information, I wonder how it can be condensed.

Thanks for the feedback.
The leftmost track manager window could indeed show all tracks and only filter the main tracks list. That way it would behave like other DAWs do it. And I bet my design is just to point a developer in a direction. If you go over to logicprohelp I posted even older UX ideas regarding filtering tracks. I think your idea is totally valid and you should share your feedback with a clear description via the feedback form.

As much as I hate to say this... I have completely lost faith in Logic / Apple taking care of the pro crowd. It's always too little / too late. Other DAW's are flying with workflow improvements, features and other stuff. Can't create a folder track within a folder in Logic... talking here simple tasks. Let alone to see these great suggestions incorporated. Wishful thinking... I'd love to be proven wrong though :)

switch to cubase and forget logic. logic came up with same very lame upgrade features in the last years. I don´t see the daw getting again into the pro world. Sorry this is just my experience from using logic 10+ years and switching to cubase...

that time you have spend creating that really beautiful feature description is better spend on learning a new daw.There are some many tutorial videos out there, it is easier than ever to switch.

cheers, lokotus

Last edited:
As much as I hate to say this... I have completely lost faith in Logic / Apple taking care of the pro crowd. It's always too little / too late. Other DAW's are flying with workflow improvements, features and other stuff. Can't create a folder track within a folder in Logic... talking here simple tasks. Let alone to see these great suggestions incorporated. Wishful thinking... I'd love to be proven wrong though :)

I think the 10.2 and 10.2.1 updates are definitely in the right direction. They're playing catch-up in some areas, but so are the other sequencers.

yea, I like the hide all except tracks w regions features.

but having a keycommand or macro control to go to specific group would be nice.

switch to cubase and forget logic. logic came up with same very lame upgrade features in the last years. I don´t see the daw getting again into the pro world. Sorry this is just my experience from using logic 10+ years and switching to cubase...

that time you have spend creating that really beautiful feature description is better spend on learning a new daw.There are some many tutorial videos out there, it is easier than ever to switch.

cheers, lokotus

I actually got Cubase 8.5 and did one project on it. Love the workflow and the bouncing especially, not to mention track creation / handling -- light years ahead of Logic. Really did not like the automation in the 'Arrange window'. Cubase creates another track under the midi / Vst track for automation to be drawn. Impossible to draw when you can't see the events on the track -- Logic draws automation on the actual track / you can see what you're lowering / panning, etc. Cubase has a great way of dealing with video and movie files too -- sucks that they don't have bounce audio to movie file feature (Logic has it). Overall, Cubase is years ahead of Logic and I'd be a full time Cubase user by now -- hadn't I encountered serious issues with stability, crashes and such. Will make a decision once the Cubase update shows up.

I tried working with cubase for 1 year, 7,5 it was, and got so annoyed by its bugs.

I mean a tool has to work for you and not the other way around.

I can create and compose in any DAW. The fastest workflow for me is logic. still.

Also a lot of my FRs got already implemented which where detailed like this UX concept.

I actually got Cubase 8.5 and did one project on it. Love the workflow and the bouncing especially, not to mention track creation / handling -- light years ahead of Logic. Really did not like the automation in the 'Arrange window'. Cubase creates another track under the midi / Vst track for automation to be drawn. Impossible to draw when you can't see the events on the track -- Logic draws automation on the actual track / you can see what you're lowering / panning, etc. Cubase has a great way of dealing with video and movie files too -- sucks that they don't have bounce audio to movie file feature (Logic has it). Overall, Cubase is years ahead of Logic and I'd be a full time Cubase user by now -- hadn't I encountered serious issues with stability, crashes and such. Will make a decision once the Cubase update shows up.
great choice my friend. happy mixing and don't forget: cubase runs better on windows than on OS X performance wise. Yea, using just on track for automation is great in logic, also in Pro tools for the aux tracks, steinberg will realize that, soon or later :)

I think my concept above could also inherit a spotlight like feature where the user just hits a key command and can search for tracks and or regions. This little pop up window should then allow to save intelligent search entries like finder, mail, iTunes and other Mac apps allow it.

I think my concept above could also inherit a spotlight like feature where the user just hits a key command and can search for tracks and or regions. This little pop up window should then allow to save intelligent search entries like finder, mail, iTunes and other Mac apps allow it.

+1
it could also be achieved with a "go to track xx" command"; similar to the "go to position" command

Top Bottom