What's new

Who's got the softest solo cello?

I know, I just thought I’d mention it, in case Charlie, who by his own admission is unfamiliar with the term ‘flautando’, was mounting an Emotional Cello purchase with the expectation of being able to do looooong flautando notes. I do apologize for pointing out that it is an articulation of limited melodic possibilities.

_

That's what flautando is. Playing on fingerboard with fast bowing to produce airy sound. Ensemble strings would be better for less pronounced bowing.
I'm confused about flautando vs sul tasto, because some says that sul tasto and flautando is the same thing, others disagree. I just readthis: "Flautando implies a fast bow with a lot of air in the sound. Although it is a quiet bowing, it doesn't have to be ppp. It is normally also played sul tasto, but then again sul tasto doesn't have to be flautando. I know that this is not very clear, but even string players disagree about how flautando is played".

I'm confused about flautando vs sul tasto, because some says that sul tasto and flautando is the same thing, others disagree. I just readthis: "Flautando implies a fast bow with a lot of air in the sound. Although it is a quiet bowing, it doesn't have to be ppp. It is normally also played sul tasto, but then again sul tasto doesn't have to be flautando. I know that this is not very clear, but even string players disagree about how flautando is played".
Sul tasto means on fingerboard. Sul ponticello means on bridge.
Basically flautando (fast bowing without pressure) implies how to play, sul tasto implies where to play.

You might explore "Trio Broz - Solo Cello"; fluffy audio. It is less always hyper than the 'emotional cello' and less harsh than the VSL solo cello. (I have all three). Don't know how it compares to the embertone or spitfire solo 'cello; the Adagio solo cello is far too limited for most any purpose. (have that one too).

Flautando is actually a pretty rare articulation. Typically when people write flautando they are actually looking for PPP or sul tasto.

I'm looking for the softest, most delicate, most itty-bitty teeny tiny solo cello library for Kontakt.

From your description it doesn't sound like you're looking for flautando, but it sounds like something I've been looking for myself as well, so do let us know when you've found what you need!

Christof, your "shameless self promotion" is very welcomed IMO.
Nice playing man. If I'd need a real cellist in the future I won't hesitate hiring you.
Thanks for sharing.
Carles

There's a lot of confusion in the sample based world with a lot of articulations getting mixes up.

Someone here were spot on: the difference is an instruction to produce a sound (flautando) in contrast to an instruction where to place the bow (sul tasto). Yes, some people use the techique sul tasto to help producing the sound flautando, but they're NOT the same. It usually a combination of low bow preassure, fast bowing and in some cases, sul tasto, to produce a "hartsy" whispering sound. Usually there are some "huh!?" occuring in an orchestra recieving this instruction in their parts, and a whispering chain starts where someone kinda shows how it's done, and everyone tries their best :) so yes: it's rather rare in the classical repertoare.

Same goes for (not so rare) spiccato which is a playing technique that makes the bow bounce by itself in fast passages, and staccato which is a playing instruction to produce short notes. Staccatissimo is even shorter, and the term "spiccatissimo" used in the Spitfire libraries doesn't exist in traditional notation.

Lot's of more examples of that.

Last edited:
The International is brill. Everything is mastered to a high level. I was amazed by the use of photography and architecture/locales, how they're used to enhence not only the plot but the character themselves.
Erik

Top Bottom