What's new

Samsung SSD drive - for MacPro Boot drive?

i have a 500gb model in an octo core mac pro(2008). i don't use it as the boot volume, but it works great for streaming samples. (i think i have an ocz 128gb ssd in that machine as the boot drive, which is working fine). i didn't think i had to do anything to it when i popped it in for mac OS (put another in my windows 7 machine and had to download some drivers).

I just outfitted my new Mac Pro with a few of the Samsung 840 PRO drives - one of which is my boot drive, and it's AMAZING.

Keep in mind that your link is to the regular 840, not the 840 pro series.

The Pro series runs more than twice as fast I believe.

The 840 PRO is more than twice as fast, really? I don't really care about those benchmarks. SSDs are fast and awesome, period. More important for me is reliability instead of that two second faster boot time.

And as far as I know, the current Mac Pros operates with SATA 3 so you won't get the maximum speed anyway.

I have a Kingston SSD as boot drive for my Mac Pro and it's great. And I just bought that same Samsung 840 for my PC slave and it's just as great as my other 830's.

Keep in mind that your link is to the regular 840, not the 840 pro series.

The Pro series runs more than twice as fast I believe.

Someone is overestimating:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd ... 269-6.html

Where the Pro shines is in write speeds, the read speeds are actually the same on both the 840 and the 840 Pro. If you are using it as a boot drive or sample drive, I don't think it will be worth the extra money. If you are going to be writing to the disk a ton (which I wouldn't recommend on an SSD anyway), then the Pro will yield much faster speeds.

My question is whether the reports of disappointing SSD performance on older Mac Pros (mine is the 2008 model) are still an issue.

I put a 512 gb ssd in my 2008 mac pro and it is staggeringly fast. However I then read that writing to ssds isn't too good for their health, so I'm now booting off a wd caviar black and will be using the ssd to stream samples from. Still on carbon copy cloner at the mo, but will chime in if I notice anything untoward...

And perhaps a longer life-span, given that it is MLC based instead of TLC based.

I went with the 840 standard, given the price difference at the time.

This is true. Since it's only going to be the boot drive in OP's computer, hopefully he can use a HDD to do most of the heavy writing tasks, which is what I plan on doing. That way he should be able to keep it running for a decent amount of time (or at least until he wants to upgrade it). I do love SSDs for samples though, only need to write to them once in a blue moon! It's like they were made just for us!

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the replies, went ahead & bought the samsung 840 :D waiting for it to arrive.

As stated by others im only interested in the the read speeds.

The performance of the 256GB models is below so you can compare. (IOPS = In out Operations per Second)

Samsung 830 SSD | Read 520MB/s (IOPS 80k) Write 400MB/s (IOPS 36k)

Samsung 840 SSD | Read 540MB/s (IOPS 96k) Write 250MB/s (IOPS 62k)

Samsung 840 PRO SSD | Read 540 MB/s (IOPS 100k) Write 520MB/s (IOPS 90k)

The 840 is good for my needs, as soon as 1TB SSDs are affordable i will upgrade the other 3 drive bays to SSD.

My boot drive at the moment seems to be full of bloatware, as in software i just don't use! So the SSD will force me to trim down on what goes on the OS.

I will be partitioning the SSD to run Snow leopard (which i currently use) & to start testing Mountain Lion on the other partition. I'm happy with SL but eventually when ProTools11 arrives i'm sure all apps/plugins will stop supporting SL, hopefully not to soon, happy as a pig in shit with SL!

Thanks again :P

Top Bottom