1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would be a great choice of CPU these days?

Discussion in 'PC/Mac Builders, Mods, Peripherals - New' started by jononotbono, Aug 11, 2017.

1. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

im thinking about building another PC. My last build, which is still going strong is with the i7 2600k Sandybridge CPU. It's a great CPU but limited as it is a quadcore and has a maximum limit of 32gb of RAM on its socket.
    It's
    I'm looking to build a PC so I would like it to be able handle 128gb of RAM. I'm not sure if dual CPUs is a better choice but if it is then obviously I'm up for hearing what people love. Im looking at a price point that isn't the absolute latest and state of the art tech but something that is fast and and stable. I have a Mac Pro 12 core 5,1 and the aim is to use that as my main machine and keep adding PCs to do most of the lifting. Admittedly I am a little out of touch on the latest CPU technology so I'm interested to hear from anyone that knows what they are talking about :)

Jono

2. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Hi Jono,

Complexity is a pain, so with the requisite grain of salt...

....I like spreading the load out, so instead of a single 128GB computer, I would opt for two 64GB PC slave computers instead. Two doesn't cost that much more than one, and the second computer boosts muscle in busses, CPU and all the rest of the computer's capabilities.

Of course, there are tradeoffs; one loses the amount of RAM that the second OS occupies, and there is more work to back up two computers than one.

The next question is whether to get super-fast CPU clock speed (I use 4.x at least on mine). But there was a thread not too long ago in which a member (whom I don't know, and who was posting anonymously) claimed amazing results with a relatively low clock speed (less than 3.0 GHz) and 14 cores. I have never seen that claim made by anyone else, but food for thought.

[edit: here's the thread -- http://vi-control.net/community/threads/suggestion-most-powerful-machine.61816/ ]

Kind regards,

John

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Spip and jononotbono like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Thanks John. Very good suggestions. I haven't looked into pricing of CPUs yet but I'm imagining building Slaves with 64gb of RAM in each is much cheaper considering the price of 128gb of RAM at the minute (been looking at prices of RAM for my Mac Pro 5,1 and the price has increased since last year). And as you say, with each slave, you do get more horse power. I shall have to have a think about this! I'm sure I read that a computer runs out of Voices once you go above 64gb of RAM but this was a while ago and way before any computer had more than 12 cores so I'm a little unsure about this stuff at the minute.

JohnG likes this.
  4. ranaprathap

ranaprathap Senior Member

Sep 27, 2016
    And before you buy CPUs right now, just wait to hear about the DAW benchmarks of AMD Threadripper. In usual benchmarks, Threadrippers are seemingly excellent choices for multi-threaded applications and they are better than similarly priced Intel core i9s or even Xeons in productivity with support for more PCIE lanes.

jamwerks likes this.
  5. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Agreed; it's always changing. Suggest you PM chimuelo as well

6. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia

Guess who's back... back again. Now that coast is clear. :P

MrLinssi, jadedsean, Kony and 6 others like this.
  7. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Don't follow that. Is it Threadripper or 7900X better for DAW?

8. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    From that tweet, sounds like Threadripper falls hard on DAW stuff. They'll do a review soon.

9. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Maybe I'm being stubborn but I'm never moving away from Intel.

Fugdup likes this.
  10. URL

URL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2016
    Artic Circle
    Intel I9 18-core and win 10 updated-that would be something.
    Release in September.:cool:

11. D Halgren

D Halgren Senior Member

May 6, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Glad you're back. Your knowledge was sorely missed.

12. chimuelo

chimuelo Star Of Stage & Screen

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    Hell Im happy with i7 4790k's @ 4.6GHz.
    Ive tried i7 6700k/7700k, both are great CPUs too, just prefer watts under 100.

My Slave needs are fast, RAM packed Quads.

But my Main DAW is soon to be a VEPro Master.
    I'm not partial, and price isn't the biggest concern.

I'm watching the races and usually take advice I hear from Scan or Rosenberry since my expertise lies in live low latency performance rigs.

Time to compose so Zen Master says we'll see..

OTOH Supermicro motherboards never die, and their Threadrippers look fantastic.
    How's TBs of RAM sound.
    And on x86 Intels RAM doesn't seem to matter.
    On AMDs it appears faster RAM and OC'd CPUs are like afterburners on a Jet.
    Sadly that means more watts which starts making me cringe...

https://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/EPYC7000/H11DSi.cfm

13. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

Hey Luke, have you tried the VEPro update that was recently released? Maybe this will fix your crashes.

14. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I've actually been talking to VSL and they have given me a few beta versions and the latest I have has stopped all crashing. Soon to be released actually. In fact, from all the crash reports I have submitted to them and conversations I have had from my problems, there is a possible new feature being added to the VEPro interface to help with using multiple Midi Ports. Absolutely love VSL's customer support. Anyway, in case you were wondering...

My problem at the minute is as follows...

I Load template

CPU load is at around 100% on peak meter and all CPU cores once loaded

Disable all tracks inside a VEPro tab containing just Cinematic Strings 2

CPU all goes to normal.

Now here's even more weirdness...

If I re-enable ALL of the tracks I just disabled then nothing changes. CPU is still normal. I would have expected the CPU to go back to 100% but it doesn't. This exact same behaviour happens in a VEPro tab containing Damage as well.

Basically VSL have said it could be down to a bad Kontakt script and Kontakt is hanging when template is loading or setting an Infinite loop. Which would explain why disabling tracks or re enabling the tracks (trust me, I have tried every which way since Sunday) sorts the CPU out. I have stress tested CPUs and no apparent problems. Heat is not above 80. Tried every buffer setting, thread count option, Cubase AG on/off and obviously off for VEPro. Had a technician look at it remotely. Changed GFX cards. About to buy new RAM. Run out of ideas so, back on topic, I'm going to build a new PC Slave and let that do a lot more of the lifting. just trying to figure out the right CPU.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread all ready so thanks to all!

JohnG likes this.
  15. Symfoniq

Symfoniq Senior Member

May 8, 2013
    The tweet about Threadripper and DAW Bench is interesting, but I wouldn't conclude much from it yet. The Ryzen 1800X does great in DAW Bench. It's certainly possible that NUMA issues are coming into play with Threadripper, but also just as possible that Reaper is poorly optimized for Threadripper, or that the high core count CPU issues Steinberg identified with Windows 10 are coming into play.

16. Publius

Publius Active Member

Jul 27, 2017
    As with so many of these official reviews, DAW software is a niche market and is not covered--so the clever and loquacious dude makes some interesting points, but merely opens my mind to learn more as time goes on. Well, at least in common with so many intel based mobos--thunderbolt not well supported.

17. chimuelo

chimuelo Star Of Stage & Screen

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    Nathanael Iversen likes this.
  18. Nathanael Iversen

Nathanael Iversen Senior Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Yes, so few sites run DAWBench, which isn't exactly real world, but at least seems related and has entries at multiple latency levels.

19. Nathanael Iversen

Nathanael Iversen Senior Member

Mar 25, 2013
    The Steinberg CPU issue is real in the context of 14 real cores max for Cubase, but you can set Cubase to only use that many and then the OS still has other cores free for general system stuff. That said, Cubase doesn't seem to exercise my quad core very much in terms of core saturation - it is all about clock speed for real-time that matters. I'm pretty sure that faster cores are more important to me than lots of cores in how my system seems to behave, but I suppose that's where each of our systems will be different. My ~600 track setup is huge for some, and tiny compared to JunkieXL, so it is hard to say.

20. Symfoniq

Symfoniq Senior Member

May 8, 2013
    I'm not disagreeing by any means. My point was that on Windows 10 systems with more than 14 logical cores (Threadripper has up to 32), attempts to allocate more than 14 real-time threads can result in dropouts. While there is a fix for Cubase, it's possible (even likely) that this is an issue in other DAWs as well, and bench testers might not realize it.

TechReport's tweet noted that Threadripper failed "curiously hard" on DAW Bench, despite the fact that Ryzen (from which Threadripper is derived) did quite well in their own testing. While this *could* be a NUMA issue, I'm skeptical because TechReport also noted Threadripper's excellent DPC latency (some of the best they'd ever seen). A plausible theory is that due to the sheer number of logical cores, Threadripper is trying to allocate far more than 14 real-time threads, but many of those threads are non-real-time threads. Of course, this is Just A Theory.

In some of their previous CPU reviews, TechReport has loaded up more than 1,400 VST instances for DAW Bench tests, so I think it's safe to say they are using every logical core available on these systems.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017