1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strings libraries short articulations noises?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Consona, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I'm trying to write in a rather old-school hollywood style of Goldsmith and Horner now, where the sections are sometimes very exposed and those noisy samples of strings short articulations are just too much of a nuisance to me. It's not that orchestra does not make any noises, quite the opposite, but those are random, while these are always the same and it sounds weird and it always starts to annoy me really quickly.

Guys, please, could you comment on your experience with your string libraries? I want to buy some new, but I really want to avoid this same issue.
    What libs do you have and how clean those short articulations samples are?

I only own
    • Cinematic Strings 2, whose shorts are just unbearable to me. Too much noise, clicks and pops, sometimes even more than one in one sample. Close mic samples are very clean and great sounding, but I want more full sound and stage and room mics are full of noises.

• 8dio Adagio and while some short arts are clean, the sound is too peculiar to sit well with my other orchestral sections, plus the stereo field problems.

• Albion II Loegria, which has really clean strings staccato samples, but they are too leisurely even with time machine patches, so I cannot use them in more faster passages.

Thx for opinions and suggestions!

2. rottoy

rottoy Gentleman Scholar

May 12, 2013
    I forgot to mention that I did a demo with the Auddict 1st Violins & Celli featuring the sautille, tremolo & legato articulations.
    The shorts are the spot mics, the legato and tremolo is the outriggers.

Robo Rivard likes this.
  3. holywilly

holywilly Senior Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Orchestral Tools' Berlin string does the job, also i recommend VSL dimension string. Both libraries are having exposed short sound.

Lawson. likes this.
  4. Fugdup

Fugdup Simplify

Sep 13, 2013
    Norway
    CSS has really clean shorts.

5. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    CS2 are very heavy in the low end room noise. It helps a bit to insert a low cut EQ in the range of the lowest used notes of each section (i.e. cut everything below G of the violins). You can also reduce the maximum voice number of the Kontakt patches to about 10 or 20 to avoid an escalating amount of release room samples.

6. OP
    OP
    Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I feared this answer. € 840.- without VAT is out of my world. :laugh:

I've noticed that, thanks for confirmation, but I'm not a fan of the sound. The library sound somewhat lo-fi without enough air. So there's CS2 with perfect sound, but unworkable samples when exposed, and there's CSS with very clean samples but not so good sound, eh...

Yea, I use high pass to cut the floor noise and low pass to cut the hissing, but clicks and pops still remain no matter what I do. Maybe I should learn how to program Kontakt to skip some round robins or something...

7. Fugdup

Fugdup Simplify

Sep 13, 2013
    Norway
    That's where layering comes into play :D
    There's no single library that has it all. CSS serves as a great "base" library. You can add more "hi-fi" strings on top to taste. There's also some flexibility with the 3 mic positions.

But anyway..
    Have you checked out CineStrings?

8. Hanu_H

Hanu_H Senior Member

Nov 7, 2011
    LASS has amazing shorts.

-Hannes

9. OP
    OP
    Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    The thing is, I don't want to layer. :grin: I want pure coherent sound of one string section.

CineStrings shorts are good and clean? Thx for suggestion. I just checked the number of velocity layers, which is top-notch, but I still have to check the actual sound of walkthroughs and demos to judge how clean the samples are.

They are, but I'd like something with more mic positions. :)

10. Tekkera

Tekkera Member

Mar 6, 2017
    if only...

11. OP
    OP
    Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    What about Spitfire libs? I have only Loegria, but those loose staccati samples are without any artifacts. So how are Chamber Strings or Albion One shorts?

12. rottoy

rottoy Gentleman Scholar

May 12, 2013
    I don't have One, but the shorts in Albion I Legacy are exemplary. Clean and with real bite.

13. OP
    OP
    Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I wonder whether those shorts are in the Legacy patches or not, since Albion One sounds rather too processed to my era while the original has this nice more natural sound.