1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solo opera vocal legato library 08/10: OUT NOW! "Solo Opera" by organic samples - 16/10: WALKTHROUGH

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Maxime Luft, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Maxime Luft

Maxime Luft Senior Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Live walkthrough:

[​IMG]

Our first public library "Solo Opera" is out now.

By Organic Samples.

• Extensive true legato sampling, no synthetic half steps for enhanced realism
    • 3 microphone positions (Close, Main stereo, Surround)
    • Pre-mixed solo opera soprano patches for an instant full sound out-of-the-box
    • Speed by velocity functionality and custom legato patch for enhanced control
    • Recorded in a medium-sized room, ideal to get some natural reflections but a still intimate sounding performance
    • Same note repetition samples, slow and fast attacks for the sustains

• Exclusive "Tension builds" patch to make chords from which all notes end up going to the same note

4.55 GB of uncompressed .WAV samples
    32 bit / 48KHz sample resolution
    1527 samples
    Works with full version of Kontakt 5.5.1 and above

Reduced priced of €39 instead of €59 valid until August 24, 2017 (in 2 weeks)

For more information, demos, pictures and purchase, take a look at the product page:

https://www.organic-samples.com/organic-voices-vol-1-solo-opera

Many thanks from me and Ekaterina.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  2. P.N.

P.N. Senior Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Hi, Maxime.

I'd recommend the piano having stereo close mics and the vocals - close mono. You probably already have all the know-how regarding phase, etc.

This is, of course, how i'd personally do it. Not a rule.

Cheers,

P.N.

Fab likes this.
  3. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Mono spot mic for vox makes sense. No reason to do that stereo imo.

4. LHall

LHall Senior Member

May 5, 2005
    Music City
    Agree - solo vocal just mono close mic. Spend the resources instead on scripting and playability. Plenty of verbs out there to put them in a room.

5. alexballmusic

alexballmusic Senior Member

Dec 3, 2016
    For a vocal, I'd find a mono close mic most useful. I'm imagining you'll have stereo room mics if you're recording in a hall or stage?

On the piano - I always find it useful to have a true mono mic option on libraries. So you can also do more vintage / character sounds. I remember years ago having the Reason add on libraries (pianos, drums, hammond, harmonium, celeste, bass etc). They recorded the big stereo sound, but also stuck a loan ribbon on everything if you wanted it. And those were often really useful.

6. OP
    OP
    Maxime Luft

Feb 28, 2016
    quick update:

thanks a lot for your help!
    Here a midi test I just did very quickly, we have now recorded / cut nearly 80% of the samples and basically still a lot of work! Here it's just the 2nd mic position (out of three), the close one has been recorded in mono (seems obvious now but I had to make sure before recording all those intervals!)

7. imagegod

imagegod Active Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Wow, I've never heard a vocal library without kind of transition. Are you sure it's a legato and not a glissando or portamento? I'm a composer, and definitely not a musician, so I have no idea...I do know it's a very powerful transition...very interesting and useful. Incredibly natural sounding (IMHO).

Can you do down/short up/down transitions (rather than just straight up/down)? Can you/do you want to change the timing of the transition? Can you/do you want to change vibrato? You could get some incredible musical effects if all that's possible.

In any case, keep up the good work!

Maxime Luft likes this.
  8. LHall

LHall Senior Member

May 5, 2005
    Music City
    My initial feedback would be to really make a study of natural legato transitions. And perhaps you have - I understand this is a quick rough. While vocalists do slide from note to note at times, it is somewhat more of the exceptions rather than the norm. The slides in this rough seem pretty far overdone, especially the first and the last. For instance, if a singer is going from C to G, you may hear him/her slide to the G from an F# or F, but unless it's a special effect they would not slide all the way from the C. So you'll need different variations of the transition to a G: as coming from an F, coming from D, from Ab, etc. They would all sound a bit different.

Maxime Luft likes this.
  9. Phillip

Phillip Senior Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Before addressing micing, stereo and legato transitions - do you like this voice? If you like it, do you think your prospective customers will like it?

You will not get decent sales if you have perfect Legato but the voice itself is unattractive. When you sample, quality of the instrument is the very first concern.

All the best with your project.

Maxime Luft likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Maxime Luft

Feb 28, 2016
    @imagegod Glad to read that! Well we focused on an expressive kind of legato, sometimes the intervals are clearly underlined so I set up a velocity-attack function which will shorten up the transitions (works good for i.e. fast passages) and may be turned off via the UI.

Although you will be able to achieve quite a lot with that library, this one will be particularly well suited to slow melodic arrangements requiring a powerful trained voice over the top :)

@LHall Thank you for your comment! I will talk with her about it before our next session.

@Phillip I know she has a polarizing voice, especially in her lower register (which is mainly featured there) but for me it's an honour to capture these performances and to make an inspiring tool out of it.

I hope it may inspire those at the other pole! Thanks a lot for your comment.

11. OP
    OP
    Maxime Luft

Feb 28, 2016
    Here the latest example of the library after having recorded nearly everything (just 8 samples are a bit strange, we'll redo them tomorrow) featuring nothing but the 2nd mic position (Mains AB Stereo). The close mics definitely make the sound fuller but I first gotta edit all of them...

Most of you probably know where the soundtrack I used here comes from... I hope there is no problem with that, I just did it to test the library in an orchestral context.
    It's a bit of a mess because of all that sound design stuff etc. but I may upload the naked vocals part in a few without any reverb. I hope this may interest some of you! Thanks for listening.

MrCambiata and Lawson. like this.
  12. LHall

LHall Senior Member

May 5, 2005
    Music City
    Sounds like you're on the right track. I wouldn't use that particular track to put my music against though - definitely on the edge of copyright infringement there. Vocal is sounding nice though.

13. OP
    OP
    Maxime Luft

Feb 28, 2016
    EgM, micrologus, Lawson. and 2 others like this.
  14. Niah2

Niah2 Senior Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Sounds really great !

15. EgM

EgM Game music!

Nov 8, 2015
    NB, Canada
  16. Robo Rivard

Robo Rivard Active Member

May 11, 2016
  17. EgM

EgM Game music!

Nov 8, 2015
    NB, Canada
    Gonna make a demo off this in the next few days :)

18. EgM

EgM Game music!

Nov 8, 2015
    NB, Canada
    @Maxime Luft

Played with it a little, it sounds amazing! But I have issues with the volume, it's incredibly low! I'm using Logic/Kontakt both latest versions, is there something I'm missing? :)

Edit: I should say it's mostly in the lower registers
    Edit2: Seems CC1 and Kontakt Volume CC7 keep being reset when restarting song for some reason even though controllers (cc1/cc7) are set at the beginning of the song.
    Edit3: Ok, if I ride CC1 throughout the song it's fine. But it will not work if I set CC1 to 127 at the beginning of an existing track. No biggie, but a hassle if you just want to punch it in on an existing midi track.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  19. thov72

thov72 Senior Membr

Dec 28, 2014
    Germany
    Nice. ....the only vocal lib with such a strong legato that I know of is Shevannai.

20. OP
    OP
    Maxime Luft

Feb 28, 2016
    For those who asked, a live walkthrough is now online. Also in order to show how playable it is:

@EgM I'd recommend to use CC1 to get more control over the volumes and make sure that everything's working properly. I nonetheless get the best results when playing with it as few as possible (take a look at 1:10 in my walkthrough).

Since today, you may also pay securely with a credit card without going through paypal.

Quasar, Niah2 and MA-Simon like this.