1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roland and Studio Electronics team up on SE-02 analog Boutique synth !!!

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by gsilbers, Jun 20, 2017.

1. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    i found suitable cables even some are made by Roland i think... all is now well. but still also sad when you want setup my which you avoid many different kind cables.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    i found suitable cables even soem are made by roland i think... all is now well. but still also sad when you want setup my which you avoid many different kind cables.

3. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Hell's Kitchen-Orlando
  4. OP
    OP
    gsilbers

gsilbers Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

Nice!

Did it sync up with other SE02 to do chords?

chimuelo likes this.
  5. chimuelo

chimuelo Star Of Stage & Screen

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    Yes it works as far as syncing up the voicings.
    I'll know more after I program the Master SE-02.
    But the glide on this is just like old Oberheims. So that's a feature the old SE-1s didn't have.
    Each Oscillator glides at separate rates and sounds fuckin' huge...

I might just keep one and sell one if I can't automate the Chain Mode to return to mono.
    My hands have to stay on the keyboards, don't have luxury of fiddling around with gear.
    We'll see though, as 6 of these would be SUPER Fat..

You can't buy a 6 voice 3 oscillator analogs for 3 grand that I am aware of.
    Guarantee they wouldn't be as fat as 6 SE-02s...
    I'm thinking Roland will make a 6 voice module once the cash starts rolling in.
    I hope St.Regis gets fat with cash.
    He deserves it after keeping Fat analog alive while everyone else split the scene.
    Karma...always finds its way.

AllanH likes this.
  6. chimuelo

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    The MIDI CCs are thankfully extensive.
    Presets recall hardware routings i.e. Switches delay settings.

But one overlooked section is the Delay.
    Ever play with a real high quality delay unit that modulates the audio in real time?
    I have. Tape Delays and my old Model 3 Lexicon Prime Time were sweet, but no MIDI.

So on the SE-02 the Delay is excellent but responds in real time like an old analog unit.
    On Omnisphere an LFO attached to fine tuning can get some big sounds, sort if.
    But the SE-02 delay time parameter can be slightly modulated for really fat wide pitch mods.
    You can send AFT commands and amounts sent on my Physis K4 and get some fantastic fat ass leads. Impressive.

Less featured controllers could use a setting of +/- 1 from Pitch Bend, etc.
    CV In can also be used I imagine.

This is a fantastic synth and it's 3Oscillators are Phat.
    I wouldn't hesitate buying one, and recommend all other discrete audio buffs to get one.
    The DM12 with all voice stacked can't come close to the sound of this synth.

7. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Hell's Kitchen-Orlando
  8. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    Still waiting for my Sweetwater shipment email (not to mention the synth) :sad:
    Most recent estimate is September.

9. chimuelo

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    Well that's good news actually AllanH.
    Not for you but thousands already came and guys I know say October too.
    So Sweetwater has several thousand pre ordered, which means 2 company's I like are making money.
    This leads to better support and quicker supply chains.

once you get fat sounds and CCs assigned xmod and Sync are the action for unique powerful tones.
    Also find a 0-16000 resolution controller like mod wheel, but a long Ribbon is best.
    Assign CC#82, crank up regen on delay, add mix to taste, but play a note then modulate the delay time.
    I make a nice lead sound then using the Ribbon controller drag it down in slow motion.
    Sounds exactly like Tape Stop.
    The delay is fantastic. Not just a tail maker.
    This sucker is like my first delay units, the Lexicon Prime Time and PCM 42.
    Too bad plug ins glitch trying to do this
    I'd love one for live work
    Maybe I try audio in and see if it works.

Best synth I bought since Solaris.

10. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    Thank you Chimuelo, I feel better now. I would love for this to be successful, and maybe Roland and SE will do a 6 note poly with a similar architecture and maybe even (gasp) full sized knobs :)

chimuelo likes this.
  11. chimuelo

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    These knobs work but you need a full featured controller keyboard or a BCF-2000 to really use, as the knobs, even if they were bigger just can't operate smoothly.
    I attached controllers to the Delay Time, Delay Regen, Delay amount, Cutoff, Contour, Sync, Sustain, Xmod 1/2/3, feedback, Osc1/2/3 fine tune so far.
    My SE-1s cant get close to the level of automation the 02s provide.
    Having owned analog hardware synths over the years found them difficult to control due to weak MIDI Implementation.
    This is the best mono synth I have ever owned.

A great month for me. Canterbury Rhodes and the SE-02 are both surprisingly spectacular.

An example of why the Delay Time feature is awesome.
    I made a custom MIDI Device in Scope SDK where I attached a Slow Sine Wave with low amount of signal.
    It alters the Delay time left and right of its center which alters the pitch slightly making it really wide since its juxtaposed with the dry image.
    Retriggered for note on/off too.

Im lucky to have the right controller and right Audio/MIDI Interface to really get under the hood of this synth.
    I'm sure MIDI GuRus can use Cubases automation features to do the same.

Giving the 2nd unit to my boy.
    Once I let him hear the Kendrick Lamar 808 style Bass using Feedback and Glide he properly begged and got it.
    By cranking up Feedback and using XMod 3 and all Oscillators on lowest octave and Sub this is going to be a favorite quickly with rap crews.
    I got the rattling subs in the trunk sounds dialed in....

You're going to be so glad you ordered one.

12. chimuelo

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
  13. chimuelo

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    I needed multiple CC#s on the same channel to control multiple parameters without using a DAW sequencer.
    Bome Box + MIDI Translator Pro do this, but I save that hardware as back up/spare.

Making a custom MIDI Device in Scope Modular I can now use an expression pedal for cutoff wah-wah, but also modulate sync for a more pronounced wah-wah.
    Cutoff and Sync amounts, each with separate amounts using curve modifiers.

So much enjoyment and automation.
    Sure do love this synth.

ANKYU.jpg

14. IFM

IFM Senior Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Somewhere
    I decided to cancel my preorder. This this is so tiny and I've got a few other synths already. Instead I ordered a Sub Phatty and a Korg Monologue. I think from here the Behringer Model D.

15. chimuelo

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    Can't blame you as it's size makes controlling by hand limited.

This synth sounds so good though Roland is going to have to do a follow up.
    Maybe polyphony, maybe size.

Anyone who can dedicate a cheap Behringer BCF-2000 will be styling though.
    I broke mine out of the closet to attach those long throw faders.
    If I didn't have a full featured 88 note controller this would be the best way to get under the hood of the SE-02.

The little switches are so damn tiny, you almost have to assign a button like the BCF-2000 has.
    Switches with three options I am programming in step mode on my Physis K4 with a Yamaha FC4.
    Learning isn't hard, memorizing all of the controllers requires embarrassing mistakes during a gig to shame myself into memory control...

16. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    I am expecting to use my MPD 232, which has 3 banks of eight sliders, on/off buttons, and 360 dials. Plus the pads and their control.

Alternatively, my Kurzweil has reasonable amount of dials and buttons.

EDIT: typo in specs.

chimuelo likes this.
  17. chimuelo

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    Here's another concept for high resolution control of the Filter.
    I prefer VCF CV In for controlling the Filter.
    MIDI is fairly smooth but on an FC-7 there's lag in lower range of the pedal.
    Behringer FCV-100 is a MIDI + CV Pedal that sends out dual signals.
    This pleases me because I like the ancient Edgar Winter ARP Wah-Wah Filter stuff he did where Sync and Cutoff were modulated. Much thicker Yeoow to it.

Since Sync knob is Center detention on the SE-02, I set a value on the Physis K4 Controller to start Expression at 64 for the MIDI Control of the SE-02.

VCF CV is full tilt audio modulation of the SE-02 Filter so I get a really nasty Wah-Wah that really screams with Feedback on the Oscillators Mix at 50%...

Thank God I have templates on the Physis K4 to program the SE-02.
    My fingertips are above average in size and make it impossible to ever use this live.
    But its MIDI and CV are so well implemented its small size becomes an advantage.

Below I have the SE-02 to see in comparison to my QWERTY & trackball.
    Once connected it slides under my LCD Monitor stand which also has my iLok and wireless receiver installed on its 2 x front ports.

IMG_1319.JPG IMG_1320.JPG IMG_1321.JPG

I have 4 banks of controls. Basically 4 x Behringer BCF-2000s per preset.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017 at 6:19 AM
  18. chimuelo

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    Also will be trying MUX from MuLabs which is a Modular VST that makes synths, FX or MIDI Devices, 24bit audio to MIDI/CV Converters too as a chap showed me.

IMG_1322.JPG

19. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Hell's Kitchen-Orlando
  20. chimuelo

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    I'm settling for the awesome Reflex Pedal from Source Audio.
    I've got some other options that are working but then this is a way to control 2 x simultaneous MIDI CC#s, and one CV Out to VCF CV In on the SE-02.
    You don't need an elaborate Physis K4. It helps for editing/programming/ performing, but a nice controller you already have and the Reflex is a dream come true.

http://www.sourceaudio.net/downloads/product_docs/reflex_manual.pdf

I will run it like this.
    MIDI Out of Physis K4 into Reflex, MIDI Out of Reflex into SE-02.
    Expression 1/2 into Physis K4 for Pedal 4/5.
    Expression 3 out into SE-02 VCF CV In.
    Each preset on the SE-02 is mapped through the Pedal which is customized per preset.

CV instead of CC# 74 is really twice as nice.
    Precision control is a must for Filter Sweeps.

I'm stoked everyday as I spend hours programming presets.
    I'm sure others will disagree with me but I've owned and still own many hardware analog discrete audio synths.
    This sounds better, can be controlled more precisely, and is 10 times cheaper.

If they make a 6 voice version of this it will be an enormous success.
    I say as big as the DX7/TX816.

IMG_1325.PNG IMG_1326.PNG