1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really good, reliable external hard drive for 2010 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Puzzlefactory, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Puzzlefactory

Puzzlefactory Senior Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Right now I'm using a 4Gb Touro drive that I have formatted as a hybrid drive with both my Mac and my PC. However I have all kinds of problems with it. Specifically my Mac (OSX 12.6) often doesn't "see" it.

I'm worried that at some point I the near future it won't be recognised at all so want to move all my files to a different drive.

Can anyone recommend a good reliable external drive?

2. Fleer

Fleer Senior Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Boston/Cambridge
    Similar problems here, so would like to know too. Thinking of LaCie Porsche Design USB-C series ...

3. studiostuff

studiostuff Senior Member

Dec 15, 2015
    4Gb or 4Tb...? Why wouldn't you duplicate your files to a second drive and dedicate ONE drive to each computer?

My guess is that that is the problem.

4. OP
    OP
    Puzzlefactory

Puzzlefactory Senior Member

Nov 22, 2016
    4TB

I wanted a drive that could switch between PC and Mac, especially as HWO only comes on a hard drive and only formatted to either windows or OSX.

Just don't like the idea of using something that's so flakey. Especially when I have a ton of samples (libraries) on it.

5. studiostuff

studiostuff Senior Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Thanks for your reply, but I don't think you answered my question.

You want a drive that can switch... I hear that. What's the problem with having two drives... especially if they work reliably...? HWO will not transfer to a second drive... or the vendor will not allow you two installations?

Why not call HWO and pay them for a second MacOS drive...? They shouldn't charge you for a second installation of samples you have already paid them to use.

6. Fleer

Fleer Senior Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Boston/Cambridge
    Those drives are not the best IMO, could be wiser to get the most reliable brand. But which one ...

7. procreative

procreative Senior Member

Mar 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Have you considered sticking to a Mac formatted drive and using Mac Drive Pro, its pretty good and sees Mac Drives on a PC, I use it with my slave PCs.

Me personally if I were buying an external drive I would just get an IcyBox and stick my own drive in. Stay away from any of those WD type boxes as they usually use proprietary formatting that if the drive PCB fails you are stuck with a drive you cannot read with anything else. Happened to me once with a LaCie RAID drive.

8. procreative

procreative Senior Member

Mar 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    By the way you can put the samples on as many drives as you like as its the Play installation that holds the license and Diamond versions usually come with 2 licenses anyway.

Puzzlefactory likes this.
  9. kurtvanzo

kurtvanzo Capt. Zorro

I've been doing pretty well with Seagate drives using USB3, SSD's are also dropping in price now so you might want to consider a Crucial or San Disk Ultra 2 in a portable enclosure to match your connection. Personally I stick with many 1TB drives so sample streaming is spread over multiple drives. It also is less to replace if 1 goes down. Then I have a 5TB seagate (USB3) to back it all up, I think it was $129.

10. mikeybabes

mikeybabes Only the good die young....

Install paragon tools on your Mac Pro - specifically NTFS for Mac.

Since I've had this I don't need to think about disk formats anymore.

In fact until I saw this thread I'd forgotten I had it....