1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question about cinematic strings 2 CC values

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Flux, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Flux

Flux Senior Member

Jul 22, 2015
    I've been slightly confused about this embarrassingly easy concept in CS2 and I guess Logic in general. When the patch says that volume is assigned to CC11 and vibrato xfade is set to CC2, but I don't have a knob or breath controller to control these values, where in Logic can I go so I can edit these values in midi draw? Does the volume automation in Logic do the same thing as CC11 in this case? When I used CS2 in the past, I used only the mod wheel for dynamics and the velocity value to control staccato overlay. I knew there was more to it than that, but the information on their website doesn't go into too much detail about the CC values besides the fact that they are assigned to CC1, CC2, and CC11.

2. newcreation08

newcreation08 Senior Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Salzburg
    Hi! When you open the piano roller (p), then click on the button "MIDI draw" in the menu bar of the piano roller, on the left side at the bottom you see the controller menu. In this menu you find "Breath"(CC2), or "Expression" (CC11) and then you can draw your midi data there. Or you press the alt key plus "y" ... this opens a window with all the CC numbers, from which you can choose.

If you want, you can also assign different CCs in the patch of CS2. Just change to Advanced mode, there you have a menu of the different functionalities and their assigned CC numbers.

Hope that helps :)

3. OP
    OP
    Flux

Flux Senior Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Oh wow, I was looking for the CC#s, but I just noticed that it only says "breath" or "expression". Can't believe I missed that. Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind about the expression vs. volume automation question. I was messing around with the expression at a low modulation, and no matter how high I put the expression the playing would stay at a relatively low level. It seems that the expression relies on where you have the modulation. I'm excited to see how I can have the two interact now that I understand it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  4. newcreation08

newcreation08 Senior Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Salzburg
  5. oliverriz

oliverriz New Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Hey Guys,

I just came across this thread and I am struggling with something here.
    What is the difference between C1 - modulation and CC11 - expression essentially? In some VSTs, there is absolutely no difference in the sound, however I still see most people are recording expression midi data into their recordings as well.

Thanks for the clarification!

6. tack

tack Damned Dirty Ape

Aug 3, 2013
    As you noticed, there's no single standard and it can and does vary by library. But usually CC1 will control dynamics and CC11 will control volume. (It works this way with CS2.)

oliverriz likes this.
  7. oliverriz

oliverriz New Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Thank you so much! This is great information here.
    One more question though, what is portamento time? I would much appreciate your answer on this one as well.

8. Nils Neumann

Nils Neumann Senior Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Germany/Stuttgart
    portamento is basicly as slide between two notes (you can compare it to the pitch wheel), portamento time controls (to a certain degree) how long it takes from note a to target note b

oliverriz likes this.
  9. oliverriz

oliverriz New Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Thanks, man!