What's new

Query about Surfer EQ2 from Radix

g.c.

Hello.

Does anyone have any experience using the Radix Surfer EQ2?

I've just read an article in S.O.S.'s Mix Rescue wherin Neik Rogers, the mixer, makes use of Surfer EQ. I've gone onto the Radix web site

"www.soundradix.com/products/surfer-eq/"

and watched a video and I like what I'm seeing so far.

But before making a $ committment I wanted to seek experienced views if possible.

Thanks!!

g.c.

Although the concept is unique, its not a "must have" plugin.

Its useful for bass parts that are played at a wide range
I usually dip a bit above the 3rd harmonic, so I only keep the low and top definition.

Last edited:
I've used it for EQ detail work in situations where I couldn't get good results with a traditional EQ because the problem frequencies changed depending on the pitch. Corrective EQing like this can be fiddly and time consuming, but you can get really good results. You can set a level threshold below which the EQ won't be active which is extremely useful for this type of editing (though I wish you could set it for proportional attenuation instead of just an on/off gate). The overall result, when done well, both gives more precise frequency targeting than traditional EQ and avoids damaging the timbre of the sound as much.

The pitch following works pretty well, but you sometimes get odd artifacts if you're notch EQing and it can't recognize the pitch immediately. In those cases, I recommend using the MIDI pitch input mode if you have the MIDI data available.

Another fun thing you can do with it is use midi input mode to "play" some kind of carrier signal eg. white noise or a full spectrum drone sound, almost like a vocoder.

I use Surfer EQ for all kinds of stuff. When I get hip hop tracks to mix that are just a 2 track and vocals, I put Surfer EQ on the 2 track mix and side chain the vocals to it. That way, it's tracking the vocals and dipping a couple db's where I set the harmonics only when the vocals are in.

For the rock stuff I mix, I usually sidechain the vocals to the guitar bus, again tracking the harmonics I choose and just dipping a little when the vocals are in. It's also great for bass guitar to help even out any notes that seem to buy louder than others.

In regard to cleaning up the sub bass range I notice someone claimed success using Iceberg Audio Sub Cut. I can see where Surfer EQ could possibly be used this way, and I was playing with the High Pass - but I couldn't make it perfect. Not sure if Sub Cut does better (sub cut is designed to have a steep slope, and their claim is that it is tailored for subs and to pitch track and remove unwanted frequencies at a slope that's useful for that frequency area (below 220 hz).

Anyone try it?

Top Bottom