1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orchestral Composition -- All Spitfire (and a few Berlin woods.)

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Ben E, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Ben E

Ben E Active Member

Jul 5, 2017
    col, Manfoman, Kony and 8 others like this.
  2. Paul T McGraw

Paul T McGraw Senior Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Beautiful midi-performance. I love how you used Spitfire in a more traditional classical manner. Interesting that the OT Berlin flute and clarinet blend extremely well with the Spitfire. I am guessing you used tree only for the Spitfire, but for the OT flute and clarinet tree and ambient? Please share how you got them to play nice together. Very nice track.

3. jules

jules Senior Member

Feb 6, 2013
  4. OP
    OP
    Ben E

Ben E Active Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Thank you, Paul.

For Spitfire I used Tree (at 100%) and Close (at about 25%). Except for Brass (Tree 100, Ambient 25).

For Berlin there is no tree etc. I use the pre-Capsule version of OT which just has close, room and “mix.” To get Berlin to sit right with Spitfire I use the “close” setting and then bus each track of Berlin to two aux channels, each with an instance of Valhalla Room reverb. One reverb is a “large ambience” for early reflection and the second reverb is a hall setting for a tail. I’ve gone through a dozen different combos in the last couple years trying to find the right reverb settings for this blending, and this is the one I’m using now. I also put an EQ on each track of Berlin (no busses for EQ) and roll off the high end to reduce the instruments’ presence.

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  5. Paul T McGraw

Paul T McGraw Senior Member

Feb 14, 2012
    @Ben E that was amazing that you managed to come up with a technique that obviously works well, but required a number of steps to achieve. I look forward to hearing more of your work.

6. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Lovely. I echo the thoughts about using Spitfire in a more traditional, "classical" sort of way.

7. OleJoergensen

OleJoergensen Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Denmark
    It is a beautiful composition and lovely with the classical approach.
    Maybe the strings could have some more bite, it is very soft.
    Thank you for sharing.

8. markleake

markleake Recovering from BF Sales

Nov 8, 2015
    I'm halfway through, and loving it Ben. Spitfire in this context sounds wonderful.

9. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Strings sound really nice. also is music nice hear non massive side stuff which is side where i feel i itself belong.

10. OP
    OP
    Ben E

Ben E Active Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Thank you all so much for listening and for your comments.

11. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    Hej Ben,
    It is really a nice piece with nice harmonies and melodies. I could nitpick but I leave it this time because overall there are just really minor things for me.
    I like that you keep the dynamics quite and remind people that good music needs not to be loud to tell a story. Did you compose a sketch for piano prior you orchestrated it or did wrote directly with the orchestra samples?
    Technically when I judge your mockup and programming you are on a good way. Sometimes I feel your track sounds a bit midi-ish. But again: Writing lyrical music with samples was never that easy. So Just keep on practising and thank you for sharing your track.:2thumbs:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  12. OP
    OP
    Ben E

Ben E Active Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Thank you, Alex.
    I didn't write a sketch on piano. I wrote it with the samples, orchestrating it as I went along.

13. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    Yes it feels a bit like that. Cool thank you :)

14. Kony

Kony Senior Member

Jul 29, 2016
    I enjoyed this - thanks for sharing :)