1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Logic 10.3.2/Sierra 10.12.6 Notes Post Install

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by synthpunk, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Peter Schwartz

Peter Schwartz Senior Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Hi RLW,

The problem you wrote about is something I just recently became aware of. It has nothing to do with the power of your computer or the number of tracks. Here's the deal...

With 10.3.2 the Scripting feature is experiencing a "regression" to a version of Logic (10.3.0) where a bug affected the operation of the Scripters, producing the behavior you described. At the time of the 10.3.0 release I issued a notification to my customers, including a way to fix it. The bug was then fixed in 10.3.1, but now (GAH!) it's back in 10.3.2.

The good news is that there's a pretty easy fix for this. Please write to me at support =at= skiswitcher =dotcom= and I'll tell you how to solve the issue.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    jacobthestupendous and rlw like this.
  2. desert

desert I'm just here so I don't get fined

Jul 31, 2016
    Australia
    I'm still force quitting everytime ;(

3. whinecellar

whinecellar Senior Member

I'm noticing some weird "pickup clock" stuff that's not working the way it used to (consistently, anyway) for the past 25 years - especially when using the piano roll pane. Sometimes the window contents won't scroll after the playhead reaches the right side, despite the "pickup clock" icon being blue. In fact, a handful of things have gotten weird related to the piano roll over the last few versions.

After 25 years of this, I've just come to expect that it's a few steps forward and a handful back on every release. At least the GUI is finally acting like a pro-level app again!

4. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Jim, I think the Pickup Clock issue has to do with it losing the key command (and possibly others).

I work from "autoload" templates that don't lose the command, but I've read that other people have lost them.

whinecellar likes this.
  5. whinecellar

Thanks Nick. I'm not following how that would be a key command issue though; while there is a command for toggling it, its behavior is set in preferences. And while I have lost some key commands I've had forever (grrrrr... as of Sierra some function keys aren't available!) - pickup clock hasn't changed.

Whatever the case, it's not consistent – sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't, with no rhyme or reason. That's what drives me bonkers!

6. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

That might just be a corrupted somethingorother. I can't duplicate it - Pickup Clock (now called "Move Region/Event to Playhead Position") is working for me.

whinecellar likes this.
  7. Peter Schwartz

Feb 17, 2013
    I could be wrong, but I think you might be referring to "catch". Pickup clock is for moving events to the position of the playhead.

There are now two places where catch behavior can be specified. One is in the usual place in the preferences. But then there are editor-specific choices. In any window where the catch icon appears, control click on it and you'll be presented with 3 options for catch behavior in that editor.

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 12.36.09 PM.png

8. whinecellar

Yep, I'm an idiot. I meant 'catch' - not pickup clock. Geez, 25 years on Logic and I can't even remember basic terms. That's what I get for 18 hour work days ;)

Shad0wLandsUK, desert and tmhuud like this.
  9. Peter Schwartz

Feb 17, 2013
    Don't sweat it wc. Trust me, it's not you. Logic does this to people.

All. The. Time.

Still, I think we should count our blessings... As Logic users, this quasi-amnesic symptom is one of the only occupational hazards we have to face. Right? So... oh, wait a minute... OK, it's just that and justifying why we use Logic to ProTools users. So there it is, just two measly lil' occupational hazards, plus time spent wondering why they moved the Cycle icon from the right to the left of the transport in 10.3.2, plus having to remember that it's not called the transport any more (and what the hell do they call it now?)

See what I mean?

:faint:

whinecellar likes this.
  10. whinecellar

Ha! Yeah, don't get me started on the constant nomenclature changes... I still work in the ARRANGE and MATRIX windows ;) Makes it rather difficult when corresponding with the dev team!

In other news, has "chase sustained notes" ever worked for anyone? Regardless of pref settings, if I start playback where notes are held by CC64, they don't sustain. I don't want to know how much of my life I've spent playing back earlier than necessary just to catch sustained notes. It's like that preference is just there to mock me, and I can't remember it ever working!

Ah well, as you said @Peter Schwartz - back to those occupational hazards...

11. robh

robh Senior Member

"Chase" seems to be working here. . . sort of.
    If I stop the transport and restart, it just does a "staccato" thing. But if I back it up a touch first, it works.

I haven't used chase in many years, since it used to blow away my eardrums with it on

12. Peter Schwartz

Feb 17, 2013
    Chase hasn't blown out my eardrums in some time, thank Cthulhu. But as for chasing and sustain pedal...

(here we go)

First, I'm happy to hear that someone else has to 'back it up a touch' first. Well, not "happy" but it's confirmation of behavior I just haven't heard many other people complain about. I thought it was just me. It's been eons (truly) since I've started playback from an actual downbeat unless it's very much a pattern-oriented type of track. And having to start from some odd amount before a downbeat to ensure notes chase/play (that's with note chase ON, of course) is one of the reasons I work alone.

Otherwise, note chasing works fine when the notes are in the vicinity of the playhead. Though I have no idea of how Logic is written, I think it's pretty apparent that Logic is coded with rules or thresholds that restrict how far back it will look to chase notes. And I think those rules must have been tightened up in latter years, which explains why we don't get blasted with huge clusters of notes like we used to. And even if that's not technically accurate, I think it's a fair guess.

Sustain pedal is (sigh) another matter. As of latter versions of Logic, Clip Length is enabled by default, and that means sustain pedal chasing ends up being a hugely confusing matter. (If anyone wants more details on this, lemme know and I'll post about it). To cut to the chase*, I'd highly, strongly, super extra highly & strongly suggest that everyone turn off the MIDI Thru Clip Length checkbox so that it ends up being off by default on any newly recorded region. Caveat: this setting doesn't save with a project... If you disable it as suggested, save the project, and then recall it at a later time, Clip Length defaults to being enabled again.

And for some reason, sustain pedal isn't included in the Clip Length filter, either.

Sigh...

[Edit: * No pun intended.]

Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 1.57.45 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 1.54.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 1.45.06 PM.png

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    whinecellar likes this.
  13. Peter Schwartz

Feb 17, 2013
    Lil' follow-up... I don't know that I've found the magic combination of Note Chase settings that provides nice neat playback from downbeats. I may have had a "best settings" formula at one time but these days I'm like, "whatever" about it.

In the Chase pane there are checkboxes for Notes, Sustained Notes, and chasing behavior options for Cycle Jump. These days I have them set as shown, and toggle Notes (at the top) as necessary. That's about as far as I've ventured into exploring whether note chasing behavior in 10.3.x has been changed or been improved.

14. whinecellar

chase.jpg
    Yeah, I don't think I've started playback right on a downbeat since maybe 1994. I use markers placed throughout projects that are usually a beat or two before the next section, and I always have "preroll" enabled too, which catches most transients.

I should have been more specific about the chase thing - it's not so much previous notes I care about - it's the sustain pedal. In this example, if I start playing at bar 74, the notes in that bar won't be sustained because the CC64 node is just a hair before the beat. Drives me crazy!

jonnybutter likes this.
  15. Peter Schwartz

Feb 17, 2013
    Ah... Yeah, here's a case where maybe enabling Notes & Sustain pedal can help that. But... (you knew that was coming) I've found that sustain pedal playback in general is inconsistent. One time it'll play back right, the next time it won't. Could have to do with the blasted Clip Length settings (which I often forget to remember to turn off).

And yes, for me it's Arrange page and Matrix and Audio Bin. Ain't that right, @Ashermusic? :rolleyes:

whinecellar likes this.
  16. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I love you too much to publicly ridicule you :)

Shad0wLandsUK and whinecellar like this.
  17. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Jay likes the event list, Peter likes the piano roll editor. It's amazing how your marriage has survived such a serious disagreement (in addition to the one about keeping up with the latest Logic terminology).

whinecellar likes this.
  18. Peter Schwartz

Feb 17, 2013
    muh... muh... muh... Marriage? I'll leave it to Oyving, the plotzing husky, to respond.
    :faint:

Nick Batzdorf likes this.