1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metagrid for IOS

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by jononotbono, Jan 5, 2017.

1. C-Wave

C-Wave Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Metagrid according to their recommendation can work on ANY ipad starting with iPad 3 (i.e. Any iPad with Retina display).

2. DaddyO

DaddyO Senior Member

Thanks C-Wave. I guess what I'm wondering is how well it works, as opposed to whether it can work. But thanks for informing me of their recommendations.

3. C-Wave

C-Wave Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    I have iPad Air 1st generation and it works pretty well. No hiccups whatsoever.. The software don't need a lot of processing power.. no high end graphics, or audio; it's just wireless commends being sent back and forth.

4. toddkedwards

toddkedwards Todd K. Edwards

That's how I connect my iPad, just using the USB cable. I would always have trouble finding them on the network as well. Using USB seems to be the best option.

5. AdamKmusic

AdamKmusic Senior Member

Dec 30, 2016
    I've had no performance issue on my iPad mini, I guess it'll run on any of the recent iPads. Could slow down if you have a lot of shortcuts I guess but I've not ran into any issues yet.

6. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Can you suggest a powered hub that allows me to plug two iPads into it, charges the iPads and allows for the same connection to connect to OSX? I have a hub that allows me to charge iPads but if I want to connect them to OSX I have to plug them into non charger USB sockets on the hub and therefore they run out of battery.

7. DaddyO

DaddyO Senior Member

Ah, thanks C-Wave. Sounds promising.

8. DaddyO

DaddyO Senior Member

Thanks for the info, AdamK.

9. procreative

procreative Senior Member

Mar 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    This product: https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/iconnectmidi4plus

I have the smaller 2 port version that connects 1 iPad and 1 Computer and its brilliant. Charges fast but you have to buy a PSU separately to provide the power. Dont buy the official one its pricey, this one does the job as its exact rating of the official one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ideal-Pow...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Took me a while to find one as I have an older 30 pin iPad and they seem to have very few in the UK for sale and when they do its the Lightning version (although its just the cable that differs).

10. toddkedwards

toddkedwards Todd K. Edwards

I'm using the J5 create USB 3 hub, I'm not sure if I can plug in two iPads. I've never given this a try, I'll give it a test and let you know, I just need to find another iPad.

11. mc_deli

mc_deli Senior Member

Feb 22, 2015
    I thought zen master @jononotbono was using two iPad 2 machines?

12. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Zen Master haha! Not quite! Yes, I am using two iPads with MG. A third would be amazing! ;)

I was wondering, what is the best way of using Spitire's UACC with MG? I'm intrigued by UACC.

13. KerrySmith

KerrySmith Senior Member

Unfortunately, Spitfire's UACC implementation has been pretty spotty as they roll out new libraries. I coded MIDI changes using UACC in Metagrid for Albion 1 that I hoped would translate to the other libraries, but with SCS and Albion V, the UACC articulations were different enough that I had to re-code new button sets for those libraries individually.

14. mc_deli

mc_deli Senior Member

Feb 22, 2015
    doesn't that defeat the whole point of UACC?

15. Shad0wLandsUK

Shad0wLandsUK Senior Member

Feb 20, 2016
    London
    Yeah I have an iPad Air 1st Gen as well. Great little thing and picked it up for a good deal as well. Thinking about another one, but not sure...these apps just don't like being switched between and I need to move between MG and Composer Tools Pro (Lemur), without them crashing or closing

16. KerrySmith

KerrySmith Senior Member

Yeah. Regarding Albion V, those "articulations" don't fall neatly
    into the more conventional terms they had previously established for UACC. For SCS, I think that it has so many different articulations that they use the "alt" or "secondary" articulation switches in a way that doesn't square with how I would have.

17. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Work in progress MG page for String Articulations using Spitfire's UACC...

IMG_2633.PNG

mc_deli likes this.