1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Hake

Discussion in 'EIS Discussion' started by Craig Sharmat, Aug 10, 2017.

1. I'm sorry to report the passing of Dell Hake. Dell was currently EIS's most ardent supporter and helper to anyone and everyone. Dell was the only person Spud trusted to extend the course and was the author of the post graduate course.

His credits are numerous and he touched many of Hollywoods best.

I studied some of the post graduate course with Dell and he was as gentle a human being as i have met. I have limited conducting skills but what I know Dell taught me.

This is a huge loss for the EIS family. Thoughts go out to the Hake family.

jsaras likes this.
  2. Frederick Russ

Frederick Russ Founder Emeritus

So sorry to hear this, Craig. I didn't know him. But the little I've studied of EIS has literally changed my life and my approach. Perhaps the best way to honor Dell is to carry on his memory by forwarding his legacy.

Craig Sharmat likes this.
  3. Aquatone

Aquatone Senior Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Nashville
    My condolences to his family. Dell was one of the greats. Not just in music but as a person. Huge loss for sure but he will live on in many ways.
    Matt

douggibson, Craig Sharmat and tmhuud like this.
  4. jsaras

jsaras Senior Member

Oct 12, 2007
    North Hills, CA
  5. Farkle

Farkle Senior Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Oh, this is sad. My condolences to his family, and the EIS "senior guard". I've heard great stories about him from you, Craig. :(

Mike

6. jim2b

jim2b Senior Member

Aug 28, 2009
    R.I.P. Dell, and my condolences to his family and all whose life he touched.

Jim

7. leogardini

leogardini Senior Member

Certainly a huge loss for EIS community. We will miss Dell Hake!

8. Ale8ory

Ale8ory Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Dell was a friend and mentor to me for many years. He graciously took me along to Simpsons sessions and taught me more than I'd ever known about Finale and orchestration. It's a devastating loss. He was a very good man.

douggibson likes this.
  9. careyford

careyford Senior Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    RIP Dell. Frederick, that's a great idea. If any help is needed to put materials together or anything, I'm happy to help.

10. marco berco

marco berco Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Paris France
    It is with a great sorry I heard that Dell passed away. It is a very great loss for his family so as for the community. I have been a longtime an E.I.S. student with David Blumberg who too passed away some years ago and both were among the EIS backbones. Rest in peace, Dell.

11. jonathanparham

jonathanparham Senior Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
  12. douggibson

douggibson Senior Member

Jan 9, 2016
    I had the good fortune of spending about 2, perhaps 3 years studying with Dell. Super nice person.
    Really was like an island of sanity hanging out talking music with him.

Thank you for letting us know Craig. He really was a great person as well as a composer. Sigh.

13. douggibson

douggibson Senior Member

Jan 9, 2016
    I was just thinking, and this is just a free thought association:

Dell let me record our lessons, and I still have the audio recordings of his demonstrating and explaining some
    of the lessons. Is there value in making small snippets of this available for Lilith or whomever runs the website now.
    I know he was extremely grateful to Spud, and the EIS "method".

If not appropriate, then of course I will keep them to myself. It just seems there is always such "oddness" when people ask about EIS, and if nothing else for those who have done the lessons could be of interest.

Just grateful for my time getting to know him, and his help.