1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cubase asks 'set project folder' and crashes / PLAY 5 crash?

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by Jesse Heslinga, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Jesse Heslinga

Jesse Heslinga Senior Member

May 15, 2013
    Sometimes when I try to open a saved file it suddenly asks 'set project folder' and 99% of the time crashes.

Other files, saved the same way in the same folder open fine. I once read on the Steinberg forum it happens when Cubase mistakes the project for a template or something..but I can't find that thread..

Any ideas how to fix it? I can't open one of my projects now...renaming didn't work and moving it to a different folder also didn't.

EDIT:
    When I remove the play_VST_x64.dll from Cubases vst folder, it loads the project..but it doesn't have much else to load in this project aside from 3 omnisphere and 2 kontakt piano instances.

Anyone known Play 5.0.4 issues with Cubase 9?

It drives me crazy, it's so random, I can never replicate anything. The same template on other projects with lots of Play open 100% of the time. Other projects I can't open...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. BenG

BenG Senior Member

I had a similar issue and Cubase was crashing upon start-up.

I'm not certain, but this may have something to do with Cubase now requiring only 64-Bit plug-ins. Try deleting all 32-Bitt .dll's from your computer and then update the Plug-In Manager.

Once I did this, everything started working without any issues!

3. OP
    OP
    Jesse Heslinga

May 15, 2013
    @BenG I have tried that a few months back when I had the same issues, and 99% sure I have no 32 bit plugins anymore.

I am thinking of completely reinstalling Windows..there are so many folders and hidden folders Cubase might just be a little confused by it all. But man, that requires some serious planning.

It's annoying since a while back I spent days trying to figure it out...thought I did, but problem keeps coming back, even worse..

4. BenG

BenG Senior Member

Before re-installing Windows, I would try this first...

Uninstall PLAY 4/5, remove all remaining files manually, and delete the PLAY directory in the Plu-In Manager.

Do a fresh install PLAY 5 and add the new .dll folder to Cubase.

If you are still having an issue, it is definitely not PLAY.

Jesse Heslinga likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Jesse Heslinga

May 15, 2013
    Thanks @BenG , will try that tomorrow morning. Now I am too tired and frustrated after many crashes this evening, time for a beer :)

6. OP
    OP
    Jesse Heslinga

May 15, 2013
    It's a nightmare. Uninstalled everything, Cubase, Play, Native instruments, basically every plugin.

Now trying to add them on by one.
    Play = no crashes
    QL Spaces = no crashes

Until suddenly it crashes, let say I just added Omnisphere, so then I remove Omnisphere..and it still crashes.

And then only like 1 in 10 times.

I can't locate the issue. I also can't clearh the plug-in path directory, even completely uninstalling and manually removing all steinberg files didn't work.

So a complete reinstall of windows, and then adding plugins one-by-one with days of testing seems like the only solution. Maybe even upgrading to W10.

7. BenG

BenG Senior Member

Hmm, hats very strange.

Have you contacted Steinberg and sent them some of your recent crash logs? Their support is usually quite helpful.

8. OP
    OP
    Jesse Heslinga

May 15, 2013
    Yup, contacted them a few weeks ago, send them the crash logs, but never heard back.

I don't mind crashes, but I need to be able to replicate and locate it, which I can't. Very frustrating.

Anyway, a complete reinstall of Windows is not a bad idea, keeping everything lean and clean again. Just a pain in the ass which I'm not looking forward to :P

Thanks for your help!

9. BenG

BenG Senior Member

In that case, I guess a re-installation of everything is the last resort and that should clear up the issue! As you mention, it could be a great opportunity to give your whole system a good clean-up. (My system could use one:)

Jesse Heslinga likes this.