1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acoustic guitar test - £100, £400, £1000+ - a quick comparison video

Discussion in 'Acoustic & Orchestral instruments' started by Ozzie, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

May 3, 2017
    Hi all,

A few of my friends have been asking what is the benefit of spending more money on quality instruments - apart from the fact that it is fun!

So I recorded three acoustic guitars - one is a £100 Tanglewood, another is a £400 Freshman, and the third is a £1,000+ Martin.

It's interesting to hear the recorded difference between the guitars. There was definitely a difference in the feel - the Martin was light years ahead of the others.

What does everything think of the sound? I appreciate it is entirely subjective, and depends largely on how the instrument will feature in the context of a mix, but it's still an interesting comparison. I didn't change mic/position at all, to make it fair. Obviously in a recording you'd make the adjustments to get the best out of each instrument, but as a straightforward a, b, c comparison, I think it does the job.

Be interesting to hear people's thoughts...

PeteH, fiestared and chillbot like this.
  2. zvenx

zvenx Senior Member

A bit confused tbh. Are we hearing the camera mic or the stuff recorded into cubase?
    rsp

3. mc_deli

mc_deli Senior Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Why do you make the videos you put on YouTube?

4. OP
    OP
    Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

May 3, 2017
    This is the sound recorded into Cubase - there is no camera mic.

5. OP
    OP
    Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

May 3, 2017
    For no reason other than I enjoy doing it - I'm working on several feature/short films, so if I can share anything that will help others I will. I've recorded conversations with directors, actors, other musicians - none of it life changing, but may help someone.

6. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Nice one Ozzie. The body, resonances and sustain really increase as you go through the 3 guitars. It's made me want a Martin Acoustic even more now! Thanks for your work.

7. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    . . . Oh, and good job Harvey!

8. OP
    OP
    Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

May 3, 2017
    Ha ha - yes, he was very enthusiastic at the start, but got bored quickly!

9. fiestared

fiestared Senior Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Thanks Ozzie for the good job, and a big hello to Harvey the "boy nice with his dad, even if his dad is a musician(very very strange people:shocked:)...

10. MrLinssi

MrLinssi Senior Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    I have a cheap Yamaha acoustic which I compared with some expensive ones at the local music store...My guitar started sounding almost obnoxious with loud strumming patterns, unlike more expensive guitars (Martin, Larrivee) which sounded very warm and had lots of sustain. Can't really complain though, I got mine for free. :roflmao: