1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 MBP 15" with Logic for large libraries?

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by Cdnalsi, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Cdnalsi

Cdnalsi Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Anyone here using the new 15" Macbook Pros with Logic and has any experience using large sample libraries?

I'm wondering about the performance of the quad core CPU and 16GB of RAM.

Long story short, with a pretty hefty incoming promotion bonus (yay) I'll be able to afford to upgrade from my dinosaur 2010 15" MBP to the new 2017 model, and I'd like to get started with more orchestral VIs, which are immense.

Right now I'm looking to get LCO Strings, ARK 2, a bunch of NI Kontakt banks (might just as well splash for Komplete, but not 100% sure yet) for rhythm section parts like drums, bass, guitar, and a couple of piano banks - so far Imperfect Samples' products sound about what I'm looking for.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. My job requires I travel a lot, so I can't get an iMac or MacPro, and I'm pretty sure the 13" MBPs aren't going to cut it for such large samples. So it looks like the 15" is pretty much the only choice.

If anyone has the new 2017 MBP and experience with using large libraries like the ones I mentioned above, I would thank them in advance for any input they could add about the performance of the machine.

2. buschmann

buschmann Senior Member

Jun 7, 2014
    I have the new one and it is powerful enough for anything you can throw at it - CPU is not the limitation, as long as you have a fast SSD drive, perhaps externally, to hold your libraries you can come a long way. The bottleneck is the RAM. With 16GB you also can't have a large template, there simply isn't enough RAM. Check out Christan Henson's YouTube channel, he travels with a MBP and Samsung T2 (or 3?) 2TB SSD disk and makes it work just fine. I'm considering the new external from WD but it is only 1TB and sample libraries nowadays tend to get chunky.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    Cdnalsi

Cdnalsi Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. I was looking at this Sandisk external SSD:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk...2-portable-hard-drive/5406002.p?skuId=5406002

To hold all my libraries. Apparently it's the fastest and USB-C. Maybe I won't need 2TBs so I also had my eye on the Samsung T3 you mentioned. Definitely going to get an external for the libraries, that's for sure!

Thanks for the youtube recommendation, I will check it out!

Too bad about the RAM bottleneck though... Which libraries are you working with that you felt like 16GBs wasn't enough?

4. mc_deli

mc_deli Senior Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Can you play e.g. the performance legato patches from SCS without pops on the 2017 rMBP?

5. buschmann

buschmann Senior Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Not a single library is to big, it is only a matter of how many instruments you can store in RAM. After a certain threshold it is a matter of freezing tracks. Works fine.

6. PeterN

PeterN Senior Member

I have both the latest 15' Macbook Pro (actually the one that came out december 2016) and that Sandisk as external SSD (480GB). Check bushmanns comment, like he wrote, all is fine but theres a botleneck, both RAM, memory and CPU.

So anyway, very quickly the 500 GB on the Macbook Pro was full. Thats why I got the Sandisk. They work well together in my experience. My experience is however somewhat limited as I only have a few libraries on the external ssd (I decided to put all my Sonokinetic libraries on it, as Ive mainly used them as learning tools). One important thing with that Sandisk SSD is - if you decide to buy it - that it can break easily, so check the bad stories on Internet how people have got it to break by pulling the usb out. I decided to stick it in and never pull it out, to make sure it will be fine.

Then again one thing about the new Macbook P's. I realize I hardly ever use the touchbar. Recently Ive realized its being updated with Logic Pro X accordingly. I dont know, do anyone of you out there use the touchbar with LPX? Some features will save half a second and such, not sure thats very important.

7. OP
    OP
    Cdnalsi

Cdnalsi Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Thanks Peter for your reply! Wow that sucks about the Sandisk, I hope the Samsung T3 is a little better and doesn't break so easily. It's much cheaper as well, and has a smaller footprint, so it sounds like the better idea.

I don't know about the touchbar... I don't see myself using it as well, and I wish they made a 15" without it.

8. Shad0wLandsUK

Shad0wLandsUK Senior Member

Feb 20, 2016
    London
    I would certainly say using VE PRO is going to help with that. I was having issues with my Windows 10 Slave as on Windows 8.1 I was able to Purge all my RAM and my samples for EastWest just dropped out of RAM, to where the system was using 4GB with VE PRO. Now though on Win 10 I am using the disable tracks (mapped to a button on y Lemur App) and load my Hollywood Orchestra template with all tracks disabled before working. This makes a huge difference on the Master machine as well.

VE PRO is a sure fire way of saving RAM.
    I would even like to get one of those MBPs with the largest PCI-e SSD and find out how much I could do with a template in Logic Pro X, but alas I do not have (nor would I ever spend) 4K on a shiny MBP with only 16GB of RAM.

9. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    You talk quad core models? some here i think made amazing things even dual core i feel.